1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using another floppy drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brenda9096, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brenda9096

Brenda9096 Thread Starter

i have a compaq presario 5528. I formatted using the bios. My floppy drive isnt working. When i rebooted it came up with invalid system disk or disk error. My question is can i take out floppy drive from another machine and hook it up on old computer so i can but in a boot disk?

2. brianF

brianF

Yes there pretty much all the same

but

Check in your bios, make sure the floppy is enabled and set for 1.44mb

Also make sure your boot sequence is floppy first, then hdd

3. Brenda9096

I wiped everything off the computer and now i cant get into the bios.Can i put the other floppy drive on the outside of the computer?

4. brianF

brianF

formatting the computer shouldn't affect you ability to get into the bios unless your using a compaq

5. Brenda9096

thats the problem i am using a compaq

6. brianF

brianF

compaq stores the bios utility on the hard drive.

go to www.compaq.com then support, pull up the softpaqs for your model number, hopefully they will have it.

Other than that, you need to press the F10 key when the cursor is in the upper right hand corner

7. Brenda9096

i want to know if i can hook up another floppy drive on the outside of the computer even though its an internal floppy drive

8. brianF

brianF

sure, just hook up the floppy cable and power plug, doesn't have to be physically installed in the computer

9. Brenda9096

thank you

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I believe you're going to receive the same error message when you hook up the other floppy as well. It's not the floppy drive that is giving the error message.

You're probably going to have to restore their hidden partition so that you can access the bios to change anything.

If all else fails, I've got the more than 40 step process for restoration, email me if you need it.

[email protected]

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice