Using Audacity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coachdan32

I am trying to use Audacity to split a large mp3 file up into smaller, more usable files. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on performing this function?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't think it'll directly work on MP3 files, normally you have to convert them to WAV to edit them. There are MP3 splitters available, MP3Trim is one that I've used. Exactly how big are these files?

coachdan32 said:
I am trying to use Audacity to split a large mp3 file up into smaller, more usable files. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on performing this function?
Just highlight the part that you want (just like you would in any word processor by by clicking on the recorded track and dragging your mouse. It will turn grey when you highlight it.

Then click on FILE,
EXPORT SELECTION as MP3 (instead of EXPORT AS MP3)
and name the Part you want (e.g. Part1, Part2, Part3)

After you have saved first blocked file it will still be highlighted in a grey colour. Click on EDIT and DELETE.

Then save the remaining parts using the same process.

That's a nice program you're using.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The MP3's are being decoded and then re-encoded, losing quality in the process. With a program like MP3Trim, it works on the native MP3 and doesn't go through the decode/encode step, so the quality remains constant. I see the free MP3Trim won't handle that large a file however. As long as the quality erosion isn't an issue, Audacity seems to be the answer.

JohnWill said:
The MP3's are being decoded and then re-encoded, losing quality in the process. With a program like MP3Trim, it works on the native MP3 and doesn't go through the decode/encode step, so the quality remains constant. I see the free MP3Trim won't handle that large a file however. As long as the quality erosion isn't an issue, Audacity seems to be the answer.
I'm not sure what you call large. I know it will handle audio files at least 8 hours long.

Gosh, you guys must be some long audio tapers! Either that, or you haven't upgraded within the last few months

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
MP3Trim will handle files 8 hours long? That's not what it says on their website...

The FREE version of mp3trim will only handle songs about 7mins. long. The paid version will handle longer. I have the free version & it will only trim the ends of the file(Beginning & ending). So it will not fit the OP's needs. I'm not certain if the the paid version will though.

coachdan32

maryj,
Audacity is wonderful for it's ability to split the files. I haven't listened to any of the results burned to CD yet, but I have listened to them on my computer and have noticed any great sound reduction. It might be more noticable on music than voice files - I will post back after some more testing.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suspect that voice files will do fine, since the fidelity required is much less than music. I've done some experiments converting MP3 music files from/to WAV a bunch of times to demonstrate the degradation after a bunch of conversions. It's quite illuminating. You can visually demonstrate a similar effect with JPG files, they're also a lossy format. :)

coachdan32

I tried Audacity on mp3 music files last night. There definately was a noticeable drop off on the volume level. Was anyone ever able to determine whether the free MP3Trim can handle the longer files? If not, how much is the licensed version? I assume that it doesn't have the same performance dropoff with music files, right?

coachdan32 said:
I tried Audacity on mp3 music files last night. There definately was a noticeable drop off on the volume level. Was anyone ever able to determine whether the free MP3Trim can handle the longer files? If not, how much is the licensed version? I assume that it doesn't have the same performance dropoff with music files, right?
mpTrim will not fit your needs as I have previously stated. See for yourself here.

http://www.mptrim.com/

If you want to raise the volume level of your mp3's after using Audacity,try using mp3Gain. It works without any loss in quality & maintains the integrity of the original file. This means it is completely reversible.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online