1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using automatic and static dns entries

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PhilR714, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhilR714

PhilR714 Thread Starter

I have configured a laptop to work on a network and requires a manually configured DNS entry using a local domain controller. When the user takes the laptop home it cannot connect to the Internet because of this entry. Obviously if the entry is cleared it will then connect without a problem. I am trying to avoid having the user reconfigure the entry herself. Does anyone have a solution as to how to accomplish this? I have tried different hardware configurations but the entry remains the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Phil

2. ramwire

ramwire

Hi there,

I'm guessing at work there's no DHCP that's why you have to manually enter the DNS settings. If this is the case then it's easy.

Assuming it's using XP, set TCP/IP to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"; this should make it work ok at home. Now on the same window there's another tab on top labeled "Alternate Configuration", Click on it and then click on "user configured" and enter the correct setting for the work network.

If this is not suitable for your problem please let me know why so that I could understand more of the situation.

Good luck and Ciao for now.

3. PhilR714

PhilR714 Thread Starter

There is a DHCP server at work however the domain controller has it's own dns entry which I use on all machines. IP addresses are received from the DHCP router.

4. ramwire

ramwire

Ok now I'm just guessing, it might help to use one dns setting from each .. what I mean is set the primary DNS IP to the work one and the secondary to the home one. I never tried this but might work cause usually one of them is enough.

I hope someone else more experienced in this would provide more help.

Good luck.

Ciao for now.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You still don't mention the OS but I too assume its XP SP2.

Does this user have admin rights to the laptop?
    If so you can create 2 batch files

Title one for out of office -
    netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp

Title one for in office -
    netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static X.X.X.X

The 2 things that need to be changed is if the interface she is using is not Local Area Connection and she is using Local Arrea Connection #2 then substitue that in the "'s and change X.X.X.X to the Ip of your DNS server.

The interesting thing is you don't mention IP address being a problem so I am assuming your already using DHCP to supply IP addresses in the office? Can't you modify the offices DHCP server to give out the DNS information as well?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

This can work but theres 2 problems with this 1) If your home DNS server ever changes or goes down (usually ISP's have about 3 different DNS servers to cycle through) you will again be faced with this problem. 2) If you travel to any other place besides home and work you again will be stuck. Actually there is a 3rd problem too 3) If you have 2 DNS servers for different locations in the DNS field you may have it trying to access the wrong DNS field in the wrong location... (This isn't AS big of an issue) but can cause DNS resolution problems..

7. jmwills

jmwills

Google for a program called NetSwitcher. It can auto switch all of your settings for several networks.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I think this too is admin dependant so I'm not sure why you would want to pay for software vrs run a batch file... C'est la vie I am sure someone will buy it vrs running batch files :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice