1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using broadband card at home

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kkucher, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkucher

kkucher Thread Starter

I was wondering if there is a way to utilize my PCS broadband card at home.
    What I would like to do is use my laptop at home but I also want to use my home PC using the same card.
    Is there a way to put my card through a router or something so I can use it at home and have my cable disconnected. I do not want to have to pay for both services.
    Any suggestions?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you want to use the card in only the PC or laptop at one time? Or both at once?

If one at a time, you would need to get a PCMCIA card adapter for your PC, install the software, and plug the PCMCIA card into your PC.

I'm not sure what could be done for both at the same time... possibly leave the PCS card in the laptop, connect a crossover ethernet cable between the laptop and PC, and enable ICS.

3. kkucher

kkucher Thread Starter

Would like to have both my PC and laptop operable at the sametime when I'm at home.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'd need to connect the two computers using some network method and then configure internet connection sharing which is notoriously difficult. A router won't help in this situation. You'd have to connect either via a wireless ad-hoc network or a crossover ethernet cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice