Using CMD.EXE to remove/format deleted files so they cannot be recovered

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattvot

I remember some while back i used a command in cmd.exe that formats/erases deleted files, but then my computer broke (not related) and i got a new one 6 months later, but i forgot the command, does anyone happen to know it, hardly anybody does, I seem to think it is like 'c /w:d:\' or something like that, please help.

This is true and it does work, i've just forgot it

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
AFAIK there is no native "dos" command that "wipes" files such that they can't be undeleted.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Erase does the same function as the Del command and, all it does is delete a file(s).

Any reputable undelete program can still restore it!

mattvot

there definatly is, when u run the command it used astrik's (*) to show the progress

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Well, as I said, I don't believe that there is a native DOS command that does it.

Why do you want to use a DOS command? There are many Windows apps that will perform that function.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Killbox will get around issues when Windows can't natively delete a file (in use, etc), but at the end of the day (AFAIK) the file is "just" deleted and not "wiped" to stop subsequent UNdeletion.

managed

Allan
The asterisks were probably 'wildcard' characters, so the command could delete files without naming them individually.

DEL d:\*.* will delete all the files in the root of D drive/partition,
DEL /S d:\*.* will delete all files in root and sub-folders too.

Please don't try this at home :eek:

But it was said to show the progress with the asterisks that should look like this as it goes thru ***************.

It isnot the command switch shown.

I still think it is a program.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
As far as I know there is no MsDOS command that will remove hard drive data and make it unrecoverable. That includes "del", "deltree", "erase", "format", "fdisk" and any others I can think of..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online