1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using CRT TV with HDMI to Component Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jenhm, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenhm

jenhm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jen
    Hello:

I'm really hoping someone here has experience with this issue and can help me. I have a 37" Philips CRT TV which I have connected to my computer so that I can watch videos on it. I have been using it with an older laptop that has S-video output and it has been working perfectly. Recently I upgraded my computer and my two modern graphics cards do not support S-video, only DVI or HDMI. I have been using an HDMI to composite adapter with no issues except that I had to adjust the screen size to make it fit. However, the image quality is pretty bad, so I just purchased an HDMI to component adapter. I am able to make it work by setting the resolution to 480i, but when I attempt to resize the screen, the image becomes distorted beyond recognition. I really need to adjust the screen size because the edges of the screen are cut off. I have tried changing the resolution, but it doesn't work unless it's set to the default 480i resolution. I have also tried a VGA to component adapter (with a DVI to VGA adapter) and that didn't work at all. I really hope I can make this work so that I can use component instead of composite. The only other option I can think of is to install a third graphics card that supports S-video, but I'm not sure I could find one that is compatible with Windows 7.

If you're wondering why I don't just get an HDTV, it's because I play a lot of classic video game consoles that look best on my old CRT TV. I'm very happy with my old TV and not ready to make the switch to HD, or pay all of the costs associated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Composite video (yellow RCA) has a limited resolution (capacity of the cable). 640x480 is about the best resolution you will get. Possibly 800x600, but it will depend on the cable quality and the TV. In this case, you are converting between formats, so it's entirely possible the problem is with your converter.

You also need to keep in mind the difference between these connectors/formats. In most instances, you can't just use "adapters" to change the connector type. HDMI and DVI are digital signals. Component, VGA, S-Video, and composite are all analog. To convert between digital and analog, you need a quality powered converter (not just a cable).

As for the "quality" difference. When connected to a quality high resolution TV, and you can see how low quality the original games actually look.

3. jenhm

jenhm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jen
    Hi, I am using a powered converter, not just a cable. It converts HDMI to component. The problem is that the picture is distorted whenever I try to adjust the screen size or resolution to make it fit my TV screen. I do not have this problem with my HDMI to composite powered converter, but the image quality is not as good with that one, so I would really like to make the component converter work.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Quality will be a matter of which resolution you can get to work on the TV. As for adjustment, that would be the overscan/underscan adjustments with nVidia drivers or screen fitment with ATI.

And again, how well it works is a matter of the quality of the converter and the TV.

5. jenhm

jenhm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jen
    I don't think you're understanding the problem. The problem is not quality, or that I can't make adjustments to the screen size. I am making adjustments through the drivers. Whenever I adjust the screen size, the picture becomes completely distorted beyond recognition. Otherwise, the picture looks great but it is too large for the screen.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice