1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Digi-Cam as storage device without card reader.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unknownsock, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unknownsock

unknownsock Thread Starter

RIght i put a large zip file on my sd card today but stupidly forgot my card reader, as i have to run it though my camera.

As i know the crap windows automated camera explorer only shows the files on the camera, which are only 100% original.

I know my file is on there but i cant seem to get it off, any know of a program that i can get or a custom settings i can use to find and download it to my comp.

Any ideas or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

PS. i have already tried to change the windows folder setting to show hidden files.

cheers

2. john1

john1

do you use the USB adapter ?

3. BG-0

BG-0

Just don't use the camera explorer. Connect the camera, close the automated crap, go to my computer, choose the drive that just appeared when you connected it (D, E, F etc, whatever, depends which drives you have originally)

4. john1

john1

yeah, that should work.
    I was waiting for a reply from the unknownsock.

Don't often reply to a single posting,
    I may not do so again.

John :)

5. BG-0

BG-0

Noo, don't stop replying. I have been near to stop ever posting here because someone makes a better reply than I have done. (in this case your reply wasn't even outdone)

6. unknownsock

Sorry i was abit vague there, yes im attaching it through USB, and it still goes though the automated process i cant usewindows explorer on it..

its a canon a640 btw

from what i found last night by googling for hours is that its PTP camera, which doesnt show as Mass storage device, therefore doesnt get a drive assigned to it..

Found a linux programme that can somehow manipluates it to show as MSD, but im on windows so thats useless..

Anyone know of something else that can do it this?

i may just run to argos tonight n get another crap card reader.

7. BG-0

BG-0

Okay.. It should be possible to use it as you wish, as it has been made possible in Linux, but if there are no programs/whatever utilities to be found for the job, you'd propably need to code one yourself...
    Exclusive uses of devices FTW. New iPods or such have this nice feature of working only through iTunes..

Anyways, propably just best to buy a card reader...

8. unknownsock

yer just ae to get a crap oe tonight i guess..

Is it true that ipods only work though itunes now?

My 40gb ipod was brilliant for storing stuff on till mine broke ^^.

Meh more useless corporations forcing changes on us..

9. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah... I'm not sure if it's iPods or just the newer video versions. Anyways, it's crap. And this kind o' crap is coming through all the holes.
    Good luck.

10. unknownsock

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice