1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using dual monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gadgetman, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gadgetman

Gadgetman Thread Starter

I guess this is a simple question folks, but I would like to use a dual monitor system on my PC, as I have a spare monitor.

During my days work, I am planning to use one monitor, for example running MS Excel as a database and the other MS Word.

If I am using my only keyboard for Excel how can I switch to Word and start typing in Word?

Would it be just a simple question of moving my mouse over to the other program and type?

Thanks

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i believe so. all you can do it is check to see if it works like you mentioned.

i have the lcd as pri and do internet, word, excel, etc.

outlook express is on the sec/crt but when messages are opened they come up on the lcd.

i have a dual head matrox card so i didn't have any issues with video card compatibility.

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

YOu can set the screens up however you like.. as two seperate desktops or as one longer desktop.. its up to you. Just make sure you have a card that has two ouputs :)

EDIT I would recomend an nVidia card for their ease of setup for multiple displays :)

4. Gadgetman

Gadgetman Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies folks.

To switch from one application to another, i.e. Word to Excel, is it just a question of moving my mouse to each individual screen and then type?

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Yup, just move your mouse to the side and it will 'ping' across to the second monitor then do whatever you want on there. Think of it as having two computers with one mouse.

6. minigunn

minigunn

I use this set up at work. It is very handy for me to open my email on the left monitor and then respond to it on the right. Why? Because in my work environment I am often called upon to respond to email quickly, so I am often typing while I am on the phone with another person. With the monitor on the left showing me the original email as I type the reply, I can keep my train of thought on the track!

Oh, and in case you didn't know - right click desktop, choose settings, click on second monitor, check box to use second monitor. Done. This is if you want two monitors on the same desktop - it is just extending the desktop actually, and you can drag and drop between them.

7. blang333

blang333

Just to be clear ... you don't just move the mouse over to the application and start typing. You have to actually click and activate the application before you start typing, so that Windows knows where you want the typing to be input to. It's like having a single monitor with Word and Excel on the screen side by side. If you are working in Excel, then move your mouse pointer over to Word (without clicking on Word) and start typing, your input will show up on Excel since that's the last active program.

Alternatively, you could use Alt-Tab to switch programs, whether you have single or dual monitors.

Note that some applications, especially older ones, don't know how to deal with dual monitors: Some refuse to work at all, some refuse to work in 2nd monitor, and some won't launch into the 2nd monitor (meaning, they only launch into 1st monitor and you have to drag it over to the 2nd monitor).

One last thing ... it's best if both monitors are the same size and both run the same screen resolution. Otherwise moving the mouse back and forth between the 2 screens can be confusing.

Have fun!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice