1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Dual Screens: One CRT, One LCD.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ChunkyTeXas, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChunkyTeXas

ChunkyTeXas Thread Starter

I am currently using an Acer 1916Q Widescreen Monitor. I have an old ViewSonic 19" CRT Monitor. I am always using Acrobat Reader and started thinking about using two monitors, one for work, the other only for PDFs. I have a Radeon 9800 pro card, so, from what i understand, i have dualview suppported hardware.

Being said, what's the routine for this? Is it even possible? I've never tried this, so I have a sneaky suspicion that it requires two of the same monitor (IE two widescreens).

Further more, if it is possible, would half the screen go over to the ViewSonic or is there any nifty software out where I could just have Acrobat going on the ViewSonic, and everything on my Acer remains the same?

Thanks for any help!

2. stantley

stantley

Yes, it'll work fine, it's how I have mine setup. Hook up the VGA to the CRT and the DVI to the Acer. Each screen can have it's own resolution and you set it up as extended desktop. If you want you can have Adobe always open up on the CRT.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use them, but after living with different resolution screens for a while, I came to realize that dual screen operation is much smoother if both screens have the same resolution.

4. ChunkyTeXas

Thanks for the replies guys.

And I agree - i am sure the resolution differences will be a bit annoying. However, I plan on have my CRT monitor way dark seeing how staring at a PDF for hours on end kills the ole eye balls.

5. ChunkyTeXas

BTW - Any Software needed for this or is it all under > Properties?

6. stantley

stantley

Nothing extra is needed, you can set it all up in the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

If you want something a little fancier like a separate taskbar on the secondary screen, there is some other software you can get.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice