1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using DVD-RW slows down the computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robblah, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robblah

robblah Thread Starter

I've got a pretty annoying problem I don't know how to fix. I got a new PC (AMD Athlon 3200+) with a sony dvd-rw. Whenever I want to do anything using the dvd-rw, (install a game, play an audio cd/dvd movie,burn a cd) the computer slows down so bad that even playing an audio cd skips. Burning is slower than it is supposed to be, the whole system slows down so much that opening or closing a window takes many seconds and my dial up modem disconnects. The dvd-rw and hard drive do NOT share an ide cable. I tried changing the mode to DMA but it will only stay as PIO. Any help would be appreciated

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

You do need to get that working in DMA mode, that's why it's slowing your system down so much. Try downloading the latest busmaster IDE drivers for your motherboard. If it has a VIA chipset, you want the VIA Hyperion drivers. You can get them from VIA's website. Also check in your CMOS setup that DMA mode is enabled on all channels. You also need an 80wire IDE cable for many DVD burners to work properly.

3. robblah

robblah Thread Starter

It is a VIA chipset, and I downloaded the hyperion thing and it updated it to 4.55 i think, i still couldn't change it to DMA. I looked in the CMOS and I changed it from AUTO to DVD-RW which let me change Fast Programmed I/O mode from 4 to AUTO which I did, but that didn't help either. I saw nothing about DMA in the CMOS? I am stuck again :mad:

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

Programmed I/O Mode is PIO mode, i.e. not DMA, you want it to run in DMA Mode 2 or something similar. I suspect that your IDE cable only has 40 wires, have you checked this? It needs to have 80.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. robblah

robblah Thread Starter

Thanks all for help, I fixed it and it's working good. I uninstalled the secondary ide channel through the device manager, let windows re-install it and Ultra DMA 4 was enabled. (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice