1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using ethernet instead of wireless???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BF2142GEEK, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BF2142GEEK

BF2142GEEK Thread Starter

hi, i am using a wireless connection but to play bf2142 well i need a wired connection. i have got an ethernet wire going from the wireless router to computer, and it works [i disable the wireless connection and i connect to the web through the wire]. but i want to use my ethernet wire as my PRIMARY way to connect to the internet, but still want the wireless connection active for my computers upstairs to connect to the web.

does this make sense?

is this possible?

thank you

denny

2. jim4man

jim4man

sounds like you have done everything you need to. as long as you have only disabled the wireless connection on the PC and not the router!

3. BF2142GEEK

thanks for quick reply

but i still want the wireless connection active for my computers upstairs to connect to. but this one to connect using the wire.

thanks,

denny

4. BF2142GEEK

lost shovel?

5. jim4man

jim4man

6. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy

The computers upstairs should get Wireless just fine from your wireless router. I don't see why you would have a problem with having to do anything to the PC downstairs. It shouldn't even need to be on. you have a wireless router so you should be able to plug a cable into the router and the PC downstairs, and still use ths wireless connection on the router to connect the PCs upstairs to.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please describe exactly what you're trying to do. As mentioned, I'm not sure how your wired computer enters into the picture, the wireless machines should connect directly to the router.

8. jim4man

jim4man

indeedie

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you don't need a stinkin' bridge.

i have 3 pc's hardwired to a linksys 54g wireless router, and run 1 pc and 2 laptops wireless.

your only issue is if you have enuff wireless signal to get upstairs.

10. jim4man

jim4man

if you look at my first post i did say there is no need for anything else - this means no need for a bridge aswell!

11. BF2142GEEK

sorry it seems im an idiot! jim4man was right, it still works upstairs when the pc downstairs is disabled and using ethernet, thank you guys.

denny.

12. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

excuse me but...
    post #2
    sounds like you have done everything you need to. as long as you have only disabled the wireless connection on the PC and not the router!

YOU SAID NOTHING ABOUT NOT NEEDING A BRIDGE SO WHY WOULD IT WOULD BE ASSUMED AS "NOT NEEDED"?:confused:

13. jim4man

jim4man

in response to BF2142GEEK's first post me saying that "sounds like you have done everything you need to" means that anything not mentioned in BF2142GEEK's first post is not needed.

read all history before you have a go! please.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK guys, let's turn down the heat.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/660553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice