Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

using ethernet instead of wireless???

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
hi, i am using a wireless connection but to play bf2142 well i need a wired connection. i have got an ethernet wire going from the wireless router to computer, and it works [i disable the wireless connection and i connect to the web through the wire]. but i want to use my ethernet wire as my PRIMARY way to connect to the internet, but still want the wireless connection active for my computers upstairs to connect to the web.

does this make sense?

is this possible?

thank you

denny

#6 ·
The computers upstairs should get Wireless just fine from your wireless router. I don't see why you would have a problem with having to do anything to the PC downstairs. It shouldn't even need to be on. you have a wireless router so you should be able to plug a cable into the router and the PC downstairs, and still use ths wireless connection on the router to connect the PCs upstairs to.

#7 ·
Please describe exactly what you're trying to do. As mentioned, I'm not sure how your wired computer enters into the picture, the wireless machines should connect directly to the router.

#8 ·
dizzle_deasy said:
The computers upstairs should get Wireless just fine from your wireless router. I don't see why you would have a problem with having to do anything to the PC downstairs. It shouldn't even need to be on. you have a wireless router so you should be able to plug a cable into the router and the PC downstairs, and still use ths wireless connection on the router to connect the PCs upstairs to.
indeedie

#9 ·
you don't need a stinkin' bridge.

i have 3 pc's hardwired to a linksys 54g wireless router, and run 1 pc and 2 laptops wireless.

your only issue is if you have enuff wireless signal to get upstairs.

#12 ·
jim4man said:
if you look at my first post i did say there is no need for anything else - this means no need for a bridge aswell!
excuse me but...
post #2
sounds like you have done everything you need to. as long as you have only disabled the wireless connection on the PC and not the router!

YOU SAID NOTHING ABOUT NOT NEEDING A BRIDGE SO WHY WOULD IT WOULD BE ASSUMED AS "NOT NEEDED"?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.