using Everest Home Edition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnkramer

using Everest Home Edition..

How reliable is it? I downloaded as I was curious to the temps inside and they seem very unreliable.

What about the rest of the tests it does?

Is there any software out there that can accurately read my temps?

I kinda get OCD about things and I recently had a over heating problem with my DVD drive. Now I'm curious about the temps inside the case. I trust my MB bios readings on CPU temp core. But I am also aware that the MB has a sensor, the HDD has a sensor, and someone mentioned my ATI AIW 9600xt as a sensor.. Any leads on how to use these would be appreciated.

Thanks
JK

Err, forgot to add, since I have a new PS, I'm curious as to how to accurately check the voltages now. Thanks again

My experience has been that unless the software was designed to work with your exact motherboard, do not trust the temperature. The sensors are only a 20c device, and a real accurate temperature meter would cost about the same as your entire motherboard.

So treat any software derived temperature readings accordingly.

The BIOS would be the closest, but still assume an accuracy of up to +/- 10°C in my experience. Any other software has no guarantee that its identifying the right sensor, or what offsets or calibrations should be applied.

Also remember that the temperature is 100% dependent on the ambient room temperature as a starting point. If the room temperature rises 10°. so will all the device temperatures rise.

For voltages, I only trust a multimeter. Not software.
But if its not crashing, I would not bother measuring....

Everest takes the temp reading right from the sensors, so it should be the same as it is in your bios. I have found Everest to be very helpful and reliable in what it does...but I mainly use it to identify hardware and such.

johnkramer

kiwiguy said:
My experience has been that unless the software was designed to work with your exact motherboard, do not trust the temperature. The sensors are only a 20c device, and a real accurate temperature meter would cost about the same as your entire motherboard.
It appears that way. Too bad thats not a universal thing.

I understand the tolerances of the sensors but I understand their sensitivity is pretty good. The sensor may be off by 15% but it still can catch a 2c degree change. But that info is sketchy, I haven't seen any actual specs.

Oh I like Everest just fine other wise, its a handy dandy tool for ID'ing the computer.

Come to think of it, my DVM has a temp probe that I never use. I think I'll poke around for some localized ambient in case temps..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts