Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
My brother has PC with with a couple 2-3 hundred gigs. He is already running out of space on his computer, as he is a gamer, but only has two games. I've tried to delete a bunch of unneeded files, but that didn't work. Our dad then got him an one terabyte external hard drive. At this moment, I'm trying to figure out how to use it to get more space on his computer. This is my first time on this site after I looked through the interwebs to find nothing of use. Is there a way to make an external hard drive look external to the computer (run with male USB) or at least use it for extra space?

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by your question. But when you plug in any external drive, Windows will recognize it as a hard drive and assign a drive letter to it. You can then use it like any normal internal drive.

Where things get dicey is if you intend to install programs or have programs point to this drive for basic execution. You can run into a situation where if you use different external drives that there will be a "pointer" issue. But if this is the only external drive you'll use, then it shouldn't present a problem.

#4 ·
Why not get a bigger internal drive to replace the existing one? If this is a desktop, it really is a no brainer to install a new hd. If this is by chance a laptop, you can still replace the existing drive however cloning the old to the new one gets slightly more complicated.

#6 ·
Remember IF you plug in different drives, the drive with whatever program you moved, may not work due to a different drive letter being assigned. This AND the fact that external drives are not as reliable as an internal drive is the reason for suggesting installing a larger drive.

#7 ·
This one of those cases where justbecause it can be done doesnt mean it should. I tried it years ago and had nothing but headaches. Ended up buying an internal drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.