1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grelvik, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grelvik

grelvik Thread Starter

Can I use the Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) Wizard to bring over my applications to a new C: drive?

I had accidentally let the system boot from an old drive that did not have MS Office and a lot of other programs I need. Now, the drive that I want to use as C: can't be booted; XP lists it as E:. I have reinstalled XP SP3 and all updates, got my web connection and virus/firewall setup again. Now, I have everything else I need on E:. From what I understand, there is no way to fix this on the original C: drive, I have to reinstall all to C:. I do not have all the disks, etc. not to mention the "serial keys" for this stuff. When (and if) I use FAST to transfer this stuff, will it be as if it had been on E:, installed? Or will this only transfer files and I still need to reinstall everything? That will take weeks and $ that I don't have, if I have to re-purchase software.

2. stantley

stantley

Files and Settings Transfer isn't going to be of much help in this situation, you're going to have to reinstall the software.

There are a lot of free programs you can get to substitute for paid ones. You can get the OpenOffice suite of programs that's very similar to MS Office. What other paid programs do you normally use?

3. grelvik

grelvik Thread Starter

Thank you very much for helping. I will check and reply tomorrow. I'll check OpenOffice -- i was able to reinstall my old version of Office XP so that helped. Others are DVD suites, photoshop software off the top of my head. Since FAST isn't going to help much, it probably would be better to just manually transfer regular files. The start of all this before I messed up the drives, was Thinkpoint infestation. I got rid of it and the effects, and spawning mshta.exe's... but I don't know all of what it did of course.

4. stantley

stantley

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice