1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using GeForce GTX 660 in a somewhat old system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hpx369, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

I have a question regarding installing and using GeForce GTX 660 graphics card in my second (somewhat old) PC.

First of all, here are its current specifications:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4060 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1806 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (179 GB Free); E: 465 GB (411 GB Free); F: 465 GB (392 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-Combo Rev 2.0
    Antivirus: None
    Monitor: HP LE1711 VGA
    Power Supply: I-REX GTO 500W

I want to install a GTX 660 any brand Asus, or Gigabyte etc. on this system. Will this system support this? Want to know it first.

I had a big problem because I tried to install a Gigabyte GV-N660OC-2GD graphics card on that system and it gave no signal, so I returned money from seller right after two days. It is a used one and he said it works. I thought it is dead (as it gave no display after doing necessary steps) so I did it.

I will expect to buy Asus or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 to use, in this week.:):):)

Now, I want step by step instructions to just install a GTX 660 on this PC, specially changing BIOS setting if needed, and I want steps specific to this system specs. Not just common steps like install, clear CMOS, check cables etc.

My power supply is extremely rare and might be crappy, so its specifications in a image:

[​IMG]

I am using a DVI-I to VGA adapter exactly like below to use graphics card with my monitor.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The GTX 660 chipset appears to have a minimum requirement of a 450w psu. So assuming the current psu is accurate and stable, it should work. But I don't know who manufacturers that brand and age can be a factor for cheap/generic brands. So the power supply is questionable.

As for installation, the instructions you typically receive are "generic" because they work 99% of the time. No one will be able to be more specific unless they have this exact PC build. You should be able to uninstall the current gpu drivers/software, shutdown and swap cards, boot into Windows and install the new drivers. That's all I've ever had to do except one time (back when there used to be a BIOS option to enable/disable onboard graphics which you don't see very often recently and isn't a concern for a board without onboard graphics).

3. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

Link to the power supply manufacturers page: http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=1068352&cate1=861&cate2=880&cate3=997&cate4=0

Manufacturer recommended max graphics card is GeForce GTX 285. So cannot I use a GTX 660 with this power supply? can a card get damaged due to insufficient power?

You are right, but cannot there may me something wrong with my this system? I mean when the seller said his graphics card worked fine and when I try to install it in my system, then cannot it get damaged because of my system? Cannot it happen? Are there possible causes for it to happen? Maybe surges? I know that there are no any power cuts during installing it before. Should I check my power supply for correct outages and functionality before buying next card? I can also suspect power supply for previous card death as it is a generic brand and not completely trusted. And cannot a graphics card be dead due to a bad PCI Express slot? I think it's not.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  4. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    You answered your own question in this question. A 660 is more powerful than a 285 so no you can't use it and expect it to perform right.

hpx369 likes this.
  5. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

Please help me to understand is this converter adapter type is right? I used this adapter's one end in GPU'S DVI-I port and the other end in my VGA cable which carries graphics signal to the LCD Monitor. Am I right? Or do I need any active converters etc.? And does this motherboard support GeForce GTX 660 graphics card? even a OC version?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, a simple adapter like that can be used on a DVI-I port with a VGA monitor.

Any motherboard with a PCI-E slot should support that card. But nothing is 100% guaranteed with computers.

The "OC" version of the card is no different than any other version of the 660 in regards to motherboard support. The card itself just process data faster.

And yes, a weak or underpowered power supply can damage a video card or other components of the computer. If there isn't enough power, that means nothing is getting enough power. In regards to power supplies, quality is much more important than the size rating. It's the most important component of the system, and when they fail they often take other hardware with them. Never cut cost with the power supply.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you want to install a GeForce GTX 660 graphic card in that old computer so you can use it for gaming.
    If that's correct, the old Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz processor in it will handicap its full potential.
    That old processor also doesn't have the "horsepower" for quality gaming.

Clipboard.jpg

Another problem is the Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo (rev. 2.0) motherboard in it.
    It supports a maximum of 8 GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM, but you have only 4 GB in it.

Another problem is the Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit operating system in it.
    It's the most system-hungry and feature-rich version there is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    hpx369 likes this.
  8. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

OK, This is my old gaming pc, I use this when I feel to use old LGA 775 because they helped me a lot in fast. I cannot forget them and just trying to give it some boost.

As you said yes, I have only 4GB RAM, but it is DDR3 1333MHz, which is best supported by this motherboard. Will upgrade to 8GB DDR3 1333MHz and Core 2 Quad Q9650 soon right after choosing a good power supply.

Can you recommend a good power supply for this graphics card just for this system? Because I only expect to use it in this system only.

9. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Disregard. I posted to the wrong thread.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  10. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

What did you mean? But as you said I need to buy a new power supply anyway.

11. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    I mistakingly pasted a response that was intended for another thread.

12. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    Instead of buying an overpriced Q9650, why not taking the LGA 771 Xeon route? Your motherboard can take one after a small socket mod and Xeon microcode update.

More info here:
    http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/mod-lga775-support-for-lga771-xeon-cpus

Speaking of LGA 771 Xeon, I do have a spare E5450 that I wanna ditch... hmm...

As for the PSU, I'd say stick with the big brands (e.g. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair etc), and in your case you should look for a 600W (or more) one with 80+ rating.

hpx369 likes this.
  13. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

You're right.........but in our country, Core 2 Quad processors are really cheap and used Q9650 is just $35.... :):):) But power supplies are rare. :cry::cry::cry:
    That's the reason I decided not to mod the motherboard's LGA 775 Socket.

14. hpx369

hpx369 Thread Starter

Are there any special and necessary BIOS settings I want to do before installing a dedicated graphics card in this motherboard? In Advanced Chipset Features? I cannot understand what are these PAVP Mode settings in BIOS. BIOS is in latest version, FB.

Can a Zalman ZM500-LE power supply handle a GeForce GTX 660 well?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice