1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using HDMI outpot port on laptop for HDTV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xBabyBoy4021x, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x Thread Starter

i just got my HP Pavilion DV7T laptop and it has an HDMI output port and i cant figure out how to use my HDTV (Toshiba Regza) to clone the laptops screen, ive tried using the ATI "Catalyst Control Center" and tried using many different resolutions including at least 2 that the owners manual of my TV says it can display. i am connecting an HDMI cable that is usually plugged into my PS3 and works fine for that, on the same setting on the tv that i would use for my PS3 (the setting is called HDMI1) ive connected my desktop to the tv before using VGA hookups but cant seem to get my laptops HDMI to output to the tv, sorry if this is not enough details ill add more if needed

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try looking at your F keys for a key that looks loke a monitor screen, then Press FN and that key at the same time. You may have to do this to switch to external monitor

3. Ditchster

Ditchster

No, if you have dvi/hdmi output on your laptop using CCC you should be sending a hd tv signal to your tv instead of vga. You should check first what output your card can do either 720p, 1080i, 1080p and then set the desired output for screen 2 (your tv) to either of these settings. Also you will not be cloning settings (monitors) as they are totally different and i doubt will appreciate being set to the same res.
    Check what Hz setting you tv uses for vga (pc mode) and make certain that your card outputs the same rating to your tv - because if you don't your tv lcd/plasma screen can become unstable/damaged.
    What you are after is the extended desktop setting which will allow you to drag apps to the other screen (i.e your tv) and be loaded full screen to your tv's acceptable settings - or swith priority and have your tv as your main desktop (with task bar) and ignore your other monitor.

Hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice