1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Headphone w/XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Yada, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yada

Yada Thread Starter

I have installed Windows XP and use the Windows Media Player Version 9.00.00.3128 to listen to my CD's. I can hear the music through my desktop speakers, however when I plug in my headphones I hear nothing. Any suggestions how to rectify this madness? :eek:

2. putasolution

putasolution

Three silly questions :eek:

Have the headphones got a volume control on the cable? If yes, is it turned up?

Have you plugged the jacks in the right place

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I'd be interested in the answers to this question. I've also got Windows XP Pro, and Media Player, and when we plug the headphones in (no volume control on the headphones themselves and they are plugged into the right hole) we cannot hear anything through them, though everything plays over the desktop speakers.

Thanks for bringing this up, Yada. ;)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you plug the headphones into the front of the cdrom, can you hear anything with them?

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I cannot hear anything from the headphones when they are plugged into the front of the CD-ROM.

They do work, I've plugged them into a radio and a TV and they work fine.

6. putasolution

putasolution

LAURAAAA!, try this

In WMP, Go to Tools | Options | Devices menu and change your CD-ROM playback method to be analog, hopefully the headphone jack will work.

7. ~Candy~

Well, I 'could' be wrong, but I don't think all headphones will work on pcs........I know I've run into some that will work on my walkman, but not my pc.

8. johnni

johnni

I had this problem last year with no sound from CD-ROM headphone output socket. As well as doing the WMP suggestion above try this as well (as used with WinME) -
    Right click on My Computer, select Properties.
    Select Device Manager.
    Click CD Rom (or + sign if more than one unit fitted).
    Double click on player name.
    Select Properties tab.
    At bottom of box make sure there is NO tick in 'Enable Digital Audio for this CD Rom device'.
    Click close and repeat for any other drive if wanted, but probably best to enable digital on one drive (although you will not be able to use headphones on this one if so).
    Restart computer (I did not find this necessary but does no harm).

johnni

9. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Putasolution,

I did what you suggested, but it didn't make any difference.

AcaCandy,

That may very well be so, these are (very nice) headphones from a walkman. Good quality, which is why I wanted to use them with my CD-ROMs. When I plug them in to the front of the CD-ROM drive, the desktop speakers continue to work, and the headphones don't. Perhaps the plug is different for the CD-ROM? No place in the information I got with the computer did it SAY that it requires a specific type of headphone, which is why I could never figure out why it didn't work.

10. ~Candy~

You might try a pair of cheapies, just for fun ;) The last pair I got from one of the airlines seemed to work well :D

11. Yada

Yada Thread Starter

Sorry about the double post....could not find the right button to post and hit the wrong one twice.....Mea Culpa! Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. Am printing them right now so that I can try them. My headphones do not have a volume control on them. They worked fine before XP....and Laura MJ hope we can solve this problem together....I think that is what this forum is all about? Aca Candy I hear nothing when I plug them into the front of the CD rom. Not since XP. I know my earphones work because I have plugged them into my portable cd player and hear every thing.

12. putasolution

putasolution

Have you tried Johnnis suggestion?

13. Yada

Yada Thread Starter

Johnni Am trying to follow your instructions: I right clicked on my computer, selected properties and cannot find a tab for device manager? What am I doing wrong? HELP

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Johnni,

I did as you instructed, and yes, the headphones DO play when plugged in. However, when they are NOT plugged in, there is now NO music playing on the desktop speakers. The only way to hear anything is to use the headphones. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I suppose I was thinking that it was like the walkmans, radios, and TVs that use headphones. The speakers play UNTIL the headphones are plugged in, THEN it automatically switches to the headphones.

Our computer sits in a corner of the living room I wanted to be able to listen to music while browsing the internet and not disturb others in the room who are watching TV, and my daughter could play her CD-ROM games while the rest of us were watching TV. But, this would be a pain to have to go back into the device manager and change that setting everytime I wanted to listen to CDs on the speakers while, say, cleaning the house, or when my daughter and I are playing a game together.

Is this the only way it will work?

15. putasolution

putasolution

Control Panel | System | Hardware tab

Device manager button

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!