1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using HTML for Message Board Posts (for all sites)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

Pretty easy question. (I hope) There are some web server companies that allow users to post HTML code into message boards. However many don't give you a direct button link or even a "Preview Message" option, so if your HTML skills aren't great when posting, you could wind up changing the format of the whole message board unintentionally!

The company Voy is an example of this.

I am a little confused with regard to the BOLD command using HTML code. Some message boards have the following command for Bold

This is bold text [/b}

and some have this (like Voy)

<b> This is bold text</b>

My question is can the [] and the <> be used interchangably and why would there be an HTML change from board to board ? I thought HTML was supposed to be a universal language. If a board doesn't give you a list of HTML commands on the site, how would you know which one to use?

For the record can you provide a list of basic HTML commands for changing text fonts that we could use? Thank you!

Jack

2. RandyG

RandyG

OK . . .

<b></b> is HTML
    [ /b] is vB code.

This site will allow you to use vb code, but has disallowed HTML code.

For this site, vB Help will tell you what you need to know. It will also help with other sites that have vB enabled.

WebMonkey have an HTML Cheatsheet that might help you with sites that have HTML enabled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice