1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Knoppix and CD-RW

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by coover, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coover

coover Thread Starter

I am not a regular Linux User, but I do occasionally boot up using Knoppix, now in version 3.3. Occasionally, I find a Linux application that I would like to use. Normally I download it using Windows, and place the setup file on a CD-RW. When using Knoppix, the Knoppix disk in my DVD Burner, leaving my CD-RW burner free. I then place the setup disk in the 2nd burner and install the application.

However, a couple of days ago I found 2 apps I wanted to use, but I needed to download them. Since I was already in Knoppix, I downloaded them to my Desktop and them tried to Drag them onto the CD-RW. I could not do that, so I had to use the apps from the desktop and could not keep them for use in the future. After going back into Windows, I downloaded them a 2nd time and placed them on the CD-RW.

But there must be a better way than that. Is there a program that I can place on the CD-RW that I could install each time I boot into Knoppix that would allow me to drag and drop any downloaded file onto the CD-RW?

By the way, I realize that many of you will be tempted to tell me that I ought to install a "real" Linux distribution. I am not yet ready to do that. This would require one of two things, either a totally separate Linux box or a dual boot situation. At one time I had dual boot and hated it, hated it, hated it. I will not do that again. And at present, I do not have another computer available to switch to Linux.

I shall appreciate any answers you wish to give, and please, be easy on me. I'm (almost) a Linux virgin.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why cant you save the program to a hard drive.

3. coover

coover Thread Starter

Knoppix is designed to run from a CD and to not use the hard drive. In fact, Knoppix can be run from pretty much any 386i computer, even if it doesn't have a hard drive. Just a guess, probably a good one, it places everything in RAM rather than writing to a hard drive.

I understand that there is a way to make it use a hard drive, but mine is formatted NTFS and does not have a Linux partition on it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!