1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using laptop as a mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EducatedNovice, Sep 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. EducatedNovice

EducatedNovice Temporarily Banned Thread Starter

I recently moved to a student dorm which has internet only accessible through Ethernet cables. To avoid buying a router, I decided to use my laptop as a mobile hotspot for my cellphone and tablet.

At first, it didn't work. I tried restarting both the laptop and the other devices, unplugging and replugging the cable, but to no avail.

Then suddenly, it worked, even though I had done the exact same thing as before. It worked for a few days in succession, but then suddenly, the Wi-Fi connection my laptop was emitting didn't show up on my phone. I tried screwing around with the adapter settings in the control panel, and eventually, I got the network to show up.

However, my phone is unable to generate an IP-adress on the network. It connects, but I cannot actually use the internet on my phone without an IP. I have no idea how to resolve this, and I am especially confused by how it worked at first and then stopped working.

Please help!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If there are wireless access points or even APs acting as monitors, your school is probably monitoring what wireless devices are operating within the confines of their buildings. Most likely, they are blocking your hot spot station as a rogue AP. Since it's unclear what the security posture is of your University nor whether we can take your word at face value, I don't think there's much help we can provide. The only guidance I can give you is to talk to the school's IT department for assistance. If this is a legitimate use of their network, they will be able to provide assistance.

3. EducatedNovice

EducatedNovice Temporarily Banned Thread Starter

This is a prime example of invalidating the whole issue based on a minor detail. Several students living in the same area are using hotspots as well, so it has nothing to do with the security of the network. What really irritates me is that you didn't even attempt to offer an alternate solution, which you probably would have done had I not mentioned the fact that I'm living in a dorm. Just tell me how to fix the IP configuration issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2019
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    EducatedNovice, I have edited your post, as we don't engage in rude and offensive name calling here.

5. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    What are you using for DHCP?
    If your phone connects to your hotspot but does not get an IP address, then it sounds like you are relying on a DHCP server somewhere that is not giving out an IP.
    If the hotspot software on your PC is supposed to do NAT (Network Address Translation) then it would also provide the DHCP service to the phone and there might be a problem with that.
    Otherwise, the phone might be asking the school's server for an address, which an administrator may have blocked.
    You have not provided the information on which computer Operating system you are using on your laptop, and what kind of hotspot configuration you are trying to use.
    It might also help to know what kind of smart phone you are using.
    And be polite, We are all volunteers here.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What really irritates me are people such as you that come on to a open help forum with a condescending attitude. I've worked in various IT environments and for the most part, none of them will provide anyone the ability to run their own network off of a corporate network (in this case your school's network). We can only take your word for it as if this is a legitimate use of the school's resources. Even if others are able to do it, does not mean it is a sanctioned use of school resources. There was nothing insinuating nor insulting with my reply. If you took it that way means you have some other issues. If this is above board, you would have no problems asking the school's IT department for help.

Triple6 likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice