Using laptops as dual monitors?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

douglasgrane

Hi, I typically work with dual monitors by using an external monitor with my laptop. I run windows 7 on the laptop. Typically I need dual monitors to run applications such as statistical software, GIS (ESRI), and archival research software e.g. Atlas.ti etc. I also need to keep interview transcripts (ussually word docs) and excel spreadsheets with raw data on one screen while I write using a word doc on the other screen. Here's my problem. I will be working overseas for the next three months and need to use dual monitors but don't want to lug an external monitor on a flight. So I was wondering if there is a way to use one of my two laptops as an external monitor. Both run Windows 7. I've thought about taking an Ethernet cable and trying to build a network between the two laptops, but don't know if this would work.

At this point I am too addicted to using dual monitors that I can't go back to one monitor. Any advice?

douglasgrane

Hi I installed synergy, but when I open synergy it is different from the instructions.
See the screen shots in the attached docs.

douglasgrane

I'm trying again to upload the screenshots. See previous message:
"Hi I installed synergy, but when I open synergy it is different from the instructions.
See the screen shots in the attached docs."

Attachments

douglasgrane

thanks. Have you tried MaxVista? If so how would you describe your experience with MaxVista. It's a paid service and want to make sure it is a good service before I invest the money. Otherwise it would be better to just buy a monitor overseas and connect it with a VGA cable.

Triple6

Rob
No I haven't tried it either. In the situations I need a second monitor I am always in an office or at home when I have a 2nd monitor to connect too, I do have two laptops, but they never both go with me as there's no way I'd be willing to lug them both with me. For on the road if I need to view two things side by side I use Windows 7 Snap: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/snap

douglasgrane

Thanks. I didn't know about the snap shot feature. It might be helpful, but I would still like more screen space. I might start a new thread on Maxivista and synergy to get the perspectives of others on this forum. I noticed there already is a synergy thread.

douglasgrane

To anyone wanting to use a second laptop as a second monitor. Synergy serves as a partial solution. I fixed the clunk in the set up for Synergy. Just download version 1.3.6. The current version is still in beta form I couldn't get it to work.

However, Synergy does not act a second monitor. You can't drag files across the screens of the two laptops. The only way to share files across the screen is to set up a home network and open files on that network. That's disappointing. It also will not allow you to use software on one computer on the second computer's screen. Also disappointing. Overall, this is a satisfactory solution and perhaps better than taking an external monitor on a plane.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online