Using Mail Merge in Word

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kaneohe

I'm having some trouble printing a mail merge document from Word 97. Here are the details:

1. The document is formatted such that 3 form letters can fit on a single 8.5X11 piece of paper (each form letter is 3.6 inches tall, thus I want to print three on a single sheet of paper and will later cut it into thirds).

2. Each form letter has text and a graphic common to each letter (thus a "form" letter) and fields of unique data imported using the Mail Merge option on the TOOLS menu.

I am able to get the merge to occur, however it results with a single form letter per page, hence two-thirds of each printed page is wasted space. If I delete the page-break that appears on each page, I am able to get all three form letters on a single page, however I end up losing some of the formatting graphics.

Can anyone offer some suggestions of how to proceed?

Thanks

Anne Troy

Anne
You must have the *doc* set up 3 times on the sheet. On the first you will have your first merge field.

On the 2nd, in FRONT of the first merge field, you must have a Word field "next record"

On the 3rd, same thing...

Suggestion: Right-click, Format picture and set text wrapping to INLINE WITH TEXT.

Hope this helps. If not, email data (change names if you like, and I only need four or five records) and merge doc as is to:

[email protected]

Kaneohe

Thanks Dreamboat...I tried your suggestion and it partially solved the problem! I have a couple of other questions and am emailing you at the address you provided.
Thanks again for your help.
Kaneohe
PS. Isn't this a great forum?!

Anne Troy

Anne
Hi everybody. I received John's document, fixed it, and am pasting an edited version of what I sent back to him along with the doc:

You really had your work cut out for you, John! This was easy for me, but I can imagine it being horrendous for the average Word user, and even some pretty darn GOOD Word users. You did not do too BAD at all!!

Mistakes and the rules of Word that make them mistakes:

1. Word's grand scheme of things has a directional order of DOWN. That's why your textboxes didn't work. John had his merge fields placed in texboxes I personally hate textboxes myself, but your use of them was pretty creative--most people would not have thought to do that. Anyway, you just didn't know the rule of direction. Now, Word's rule of direction IN TABLES is cell to cell, left to right then down to the left-most cell in the next row. You'll note that if you create mail-merge labels, Word actually has a table layout. Bottom line: we have to use tables. So I set the exact height of the *certificate* rows and then guessed on the in-between rows. Returned document had 5 rows, 3 for certificates, and two *spacer* rows in between the certificates. Be careful to print this to a GOOD color printer (take to Staples or Kinkos if you must) because our home-variety color printers will not print as close to the bottom of the paper as this document will require--you know that? Oh--use Ctrl-tab to create tabs inside table cells.

2. Word doesn't *really* like its own drawing objects; that's why they were probably cumbersome for you. Again, your creativity and originality show through--but Word's rule won't allow it. By combining the picture and the border, you now have three large graphics. Yuk. They just don't work right unless they're *inline with text* (check that out under the format-object thing). So here's what I did. I ungrouped them (thank goodness I could! Great of you!). I took the people only and trashed the border. After all, we now have table cells on which we can put the borders. :) I put the people in the middle certificate. Selected it, hit ctrl-D twice to duplicate it, and placed the other two above/below, used drawing toolbar to align, etc. Then I grouped them as one graphic. Then I cut it. And here's the rule (though I couldn't really define it in writing for you!)...I pasted it into the HEADER of the document. To get EXACT placement where I needed it, I had to set the header/footer margins to the same as the top and bottom, and I held the ALT key down while moving the graphic, which gives us the ability to move it to quite precise locations instead of those little incremental *jumps* you get without the ALT key.

3. Centering the text was a whole lot easier between two left and right table cells. (You have your gridlines showing, yes?) There were two columns in the table. Now I had a problem where the left-hand text is running into the graphic (I use the little <abc> button on the mailmerge toolbar to see a test and turn it off right away), so I select the left-hand column only and put a RIGHT indent (format-paragraph) of 1.5 inches so the one of the merge fields wraps down instead of into the graphic. (You can go to Tools-Options, View tab and choose *text boundaries* to REALLY see this stuff work! It's great to use on a project like this.) I probably could have just inserted another column between the two, but yuk. I made the right-hand column skinnier to *center* the text on the right-hand side.

4. Now, when you're using more than one mailmerge *product* per page, the second and subsequent ones MUST have the <<next record>> jobby in front of the FIRST merge field for each one.

5. When you set exact height on table rows, anything that *overflows*, gets dropped into the cell--BELOW the cell, but not in view...though the text is still there. Because I didn't want this to happen with your merge field at the bottom of each certificate when a long description dropped in there, I opted to make a second table row for that line...then merged the two (upper and lower) cells on the right-hand column---I'm PRAYING that you're using Word 2000 because I don't think 97 is capable of merging cells vertically.

One more tip, but I didn't change it...when you create data sources, if you can keep your heading titles the same width or LESS than the actual data they contain, it keeps your mailmerge looking better. For instance, your Donor state and zip headings take up a lot of space in the mailmerge doc, when ST and ZIP would have been more *visually correct*. Know what I mean?

Anyone who would like to see the layout of John's file can email me for it. Of course, his *special* information will be removed, but you'll get the idea of how to layout a multi-part mailmerge document on one piece of paper.

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online