1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by campsb, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

I was talking with someone the other day and they mentioned the possibility of using mulitple monitors on one computer. This would be an excellent solution for the kind of work I do. My question is around how to set that up. I'd like to do this with my laptop if possible.

Thanks,

Campsb:)

2. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Not sure about on a laptop, but on my desktop at work i have two monitors on one PC.

Think you'll need a graphics card that let's you connect two monitors.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    most newer laptops also have a VGA out connector. If yours does this will work. Give us the specs and or model number of your laptop Including the graphics adapter.

4. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

Thanks guys for such a quick response.

It's a Gateway M460 with an Intel (R) Pentium (R) M processor 2.00 GHz with 2 GB Ram

The Display Adapter is an ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

If I can do it, how do I set it up?

Thanks!

Campsb

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You would plug the external monitor into your VGA port (According to gateway there is one on that model.). Boot your computer, then right click anywhere on the desktop that has no Icons. in the drop down menu that appears select properties. Then select the Settings tab. It should show both of your monitors. However the second one may not be enabled. You then drag the number 2 monitor to the orientation that it sits on your desk in relation to the laptop. THe laptop being number 1. You can then adjust the resolution of the monitor to suit the monitor and your viewing comfort so long as it is capable of that resolution. THe monitor that is active will be the one that is highlighted or outlined.

6. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

DustyJay,

So does this mean I can have two applications open at once, one on each monitor and move between them?

This will be too cool!

Campsb

7. Drew7997

Drew7997

Campsb- It's the greatest thing since sliced bread! lol.
    it's excellent if you need say 2 open pages 1 say IE and 1 a program or excel or word file to do data entry I'd love to have 2 displays here at work, I've got them at home and I'm soooo limited to my speed here at work.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The ability to have separate displays will depend on the capabilities of the laptop, not all of them will give you anything but the same thing on both. I use dual monitors on this system, it's great for development work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice