1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using my recovery discs/reformatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wicked_Angel666, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wicked_Angel666

Wicked_Angel666 Thread Starter

I decided to completely reformat my desktop computer. I have 2 discs that came with my computer when I bought it (recovery disc 1 and 2). I run Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Compaq. For some reason, it has taken hours and hours to do this. Over 24 hours. I was told that a reformat normally takes about 5 hours. I keep getting an error message every so often "Error! Cannot copy file >filename<. Please eject disc and clean it and try again." Well I have cleaned the disc about 10 times by now and it hasn't helped. Either it has a scratch (nothing really serious that I can see) or the data is corrupt somehow. Both the discs are like this. Could this be why it is going so slow? This is definitly not normal, and I am thinking maybe I have really wrecked my PC. Also, it had been going for about 24hours, and it restarted the whole thing for no apparent reason. And now I realized that XP isn't on the disc. Or is it? My friend told me it was, but now I am getting conflicting information from other people. So pretty much these are my questions: Why is it taking so long? Should I give up, and bring it to a professional before I make things worse? And is XP on a recovery disc, and if it isn't how should I go about getting it again? Any suggestions or thoughts on this will be very helpful, thank you!

2. jmwills

jmwills

With MCE there is a process of swapping those two discs back and forth to complete the loading process. A little stupid if you ask me when MS cold have put them on a DVD instead.
    I too have had this issue.

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

may also be worth running a lens cleaner in your CD/DVD drive too

4. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

I agree with the lens cleaner idea...that might be part of your problem.

5 hours for a system restore????!!! :eek: I think something is wrong there! Mine only took like 1 maybe 2 hours to do the system restore. Someone on here (JohnWill? Rollin' Rog? Byteman??) has a "guide" to restoring your computer in case you don't have the directions that came with your pc. You might also find one on www.pchell.com They have some really down to earth guides to make things easier for you to understand--not that I think or am saying you are stupid!! It's just written for the average semi-computer literate person.

From personal experience I highly recommend doing the full system restore instead of making a "backup" copy (you'll get this option when you do the restore--AVOID DOING THIS!!). My backup copy is STILL on my computer, because there isn't a program out there that will take it off--not Brute Force/Killbox...you'll be stuck with it forever (and all the little nasties it might contain! :eek:) So if you are going to do it, it's gotta be a clean break--full system restore, no backup folder!

I wish you luck! You might very well need it! ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice