1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Netgear r6300v2 router with Xfinity Wireless Gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dst17601, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dst17601

dst17601 Thread Starter

A Comcast Tech installed a new Xfinity Wireless Gateway at my house yesterday. It produced WiFi performance less than what i am accustomed to. I decided that i wanted to continue to use my beloved r6300v2 Netgear Router so I attached it to Port 1 of the Wireless Gateway using an Ethernet cable. After much resetting and many signals from Comcast, it began working and providing good Ping and download speed.

The problem is that this new arrangement drops connection often throughout the day and at some points, my devices cannot even detect the new network. I'm wondering if there is something else I should have done in connecting my Netgear router to the Wireless Gateway. I've read that some suggest I should contact Comcast to have the Gateway set up in Bridge Mode. Others write that I should be sure to set the router up as an AP point. I'm not comfortable on how to navigate either of those solutions so I'm seeking help here.

Thanks,
    Doug

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6008 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 685 GB (606 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The simplest solution is to keep your physical connection and login to Comcast's router and

a. Disable the wireless signal(s); and

b. Make sure the routers are using different LAN IP subnets (e.g., if both are using 192.168.1.x change one of them to use something different such as 192.168.3.x; and

c. If you are going to do any port forwarding put the second router in the DMZ of the first (so that you can ignore the first router when port forwarding).

The "cleanest" solution is probably to bridge the Comcast modem/router, but if you cannot do that yourself I would not recommend it.

The AP solution is as follows.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

4. dst17601

dst17601 Thread Starter

Thanks for the options to look at... it is the Wireless Gateway 3. I don't see any other brand on it than Xfinity.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. dst17601

dst17601 Thread Starter

Thanks for your patience. The model is DPC3941T.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    ok, I download the manual. Give me some time to look through it. You have 2 routers: the one in the gateway and your Netgear.
    I'll read and see how to change the router in the gateway to bridge mode or if it is possible.

I won't post until I look over everything.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I was not able to find anything in the manual about setting the router into bridge mode so I googled and some Xfinity/Comcast users came to the rescue.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-H...-DPC3941T-gateway-in-bridge-mode/td-p/2507357

Make sure you download the manual and connect your computer to LAN port #1. Set up or check that the tech set up the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands.

When done, there should be some sort of button on the screen to set the Gateway to bridge mode.

When that is done, unattach the computer in LAN port #1 and attach the router to that port. The other LAN ports in the Gateway will not work so don't attach any computers to them. Instead attach to your Netgeat router.

Good luck.

9. dst17601

dst17601 Thread Starter

I'll try this over the weekend.

10. dst17601

dst17601 Thread Starter

I'm just trying to think this through. Right now, my Netgear router is connected to LAN 1 on the gateway and I'm getting internet service via my Netgear router, albeit unpredictable service (sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes drops). Why am I able to get Internet service at all with my arrangement when my gateway is not in bridge mode? And finally, is setting the gateway to bridge mode really going to resolve my issues?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depends on what is causing your issues and maybe on exactly what bridge mode on that modem/router does.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Consider buying a dedicated new modem and using a new router.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    TonyB25, consider giving helpful advice, which I know that you are capable of doing.

The modem/router is new and dst17601 believes his router is still good. No troubleshooting has even been attempted, and it makes no sense to buy new equipment when there may be nothing wrong with the current.

14. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Is it brand new out of the box? ISP's usually recycle devices. The ISP should support it.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The ISP does support his gateway; the OP wants to use his own router. The ISP won't help with that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice