1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using old PC as Print Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dustyjay, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I have 4 PCs. A Compaq SR2168HM Running Vista Home Basic SP1, a Dell Dimension B310 XP Home SP3, a Dell Dimension 3000 Running XP Home SP3, an HP Pavillion 6736 Celeron 667 running XP home SP2. I want to set up the HP Pavilion to act soley as a printer server for two printers and all of the computers. What I am trying to accomplish is not having to have all the computers turned on so that One can use either printer (1 Laser 1 Inkjet), the Pavilion will not need a monitor keyboard or mouse once set up, unless trouble shooting or updates are needed. No Problem, turn on File and Printer Sharing for all 4. Haven't tried to install SP3 on the Pavilion (don't know if it will even work on this PC).

My Question is, after having all the necessary updates to XP on the pavilion, how do I disable internet access only on this computer while still keeping access to rest of my home network. At the moment I am using a Linksys RTP300 (voip) router as my router with out the telephone service enabled, as my network router. Or is this possible. I am not using the router firewall, I am instead using the Windows Firewall on all 4 computers. Also the Pavilion is not presently connected though I have had it on my home network with both of the Dells before. Print and file sharing with this computer works.

Any Suggestions are appreciated and TIA for any help

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Just don't configure a default gateway on the HP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice