Using one tape for several days' backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gwetsa2000

Hello there,

I am running Solaris 8 on SUN E450 servers.

I have a case where I need to be backing up some data (about 5GB) on daily basis onto a a tape. My tapes are 40GB Tape in size.

Now if I am to be using one tape everyday, I thought it could rather too much considering that I would only be using 5 of the 40GB. What I was thinking was that maybe I could be using one tape for one week. In other words, say on Monday , I just do a normal backup, on Tuesday, I move forward by one space, on Wednesday, I move forward by another space, so on and so forth - so that come Friday, I have all my 5 backup sets of on tape.

I am not very clear as to how I can achieve this, especially that I have to be taking the tape out of the drive everytime I finish the backup. I know of the "norewind" option but how to put everything together, hence this thread to tap from your helpful resources.

I would appreciate if you could tip me on:
1. The command (with options) to use on the Monday backup, and
2. The command (with options) to use on the Tuesday through Friday backups.
3. The command (with options) to use if I am required to restore any of the day's backup

My preference is to use tar as opposed to cpio.

Please help me.

Regards,
George

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online