1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Panda online scan...?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by starchild, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I followed a link last night, from the one here about the latest worm, to the Panda online virus scan. I didn't think I have the worm, had used other scans, but who knows what a new (free) scan might find :)

First I downloaded the program, took about 45 mins (for some reason, it wasn't that big a download) then decided on the full scan, while I was at it. After an hour of this, it had barely moved on the progress bar, and it was 1 AM so I stopped it and went to bed.

I considered taking it offline and letting it scan (as it says you can, but have to go online for results) but don't like leaving it on all night "doing something" while I sleep.

At that point it said it had found 4 infected files, it had disinfected (but no details, since I didn't finish it). I THINK it might be emails I had deleted, since it was scanning all files. Though I usually delete the deleted ones- to make sure.

This morning I started it again, this time he didn't have to download totally, quickly connected to whatever it had dl'd last night. Three hours later..... it had barely gotten to what might be the 1/4 mark on the progress bar. I had mainly been online (letting it scan) but took it off and back on again (which it said could be done)

I finally stopped it.

This afternoon, I tried it again, this time only checking EMAIL to scan.

An hour later.... it was only about 1/10th of the way on the bar, and had been on one file for about 30 mins. Said ithad scanned 220 files and was staying on ....Tup\AdobeGammaLoader.ene.Lnk
    (maybe STARTUP?)

I tried ctrl-alt-del to see if it said the programming wasn't responding, but it didn't say this.

So, I stopped it and closed.

Is it normal for it to that THAT long, and seem to be making little or no progress on the scan?

I have WIN 98 SE, and a 9 GB harddrive, with about 1 1/2 GB free.

I know I have a lot on my computer, and my AVG (and Adaware) take around an hour to scan it all. I keep up with deleting, emptying recycle, disk clean up, and defrag (I just did that yesterday)

It's not really a big deal, but I thought I'd ask and see if this is the way it's supposed to work? Maybe it's because it's such an IN DEPTH scan! But, how long should it take to scan OE and Startup?

Let along the whole computer.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. winchester73

winchester73

Best guess ... the entire Internet is slow with this latest worm attack, and the new B variant seems to be targeting anti-virus sites (among other security sites) ...

Ordinarily, it takes Panda about 15 minutes to fully check this computer.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

WOW.... I never even thought of that.

Also, the idea that a lot of people might be using it at the same time.

I just wondered if that was normal or not.

Since I have no reason to believe I have the worm, and no other scans (I have-and I dl'd and ran Symantec from a link here) show it, I'll just wait a bit to try it again.

We have a saying here in Vermont (and I've heard others claim it, too) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Maybe another version is "let sleeping dogs lie".

Thanks,

~ Carrie

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi Carrie,
    I know with some online scanners, you HAVE to finish or it wont clean anything....but the one you did may....
    You can keep trying, or try some other online scans.

Here is a program for free for worms, etc:

It is way down at bottom of this page:
    http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/software/free/

Online ones: This is a LIST all the items in yellow window are online things, try them out, one or more might be easier to load for you.
    http://www.antivirus-online.de/english/online.php

5. winchester73

winchester73

Anti-Trojan is now within the a2 scanner ...

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

What does this mean? (okay I see it's the name of the download scan)

I used the Symantec download given here in the worm thread up top, and it didn't find anything.

The Panda one said (as far as I went) 4 were found and 4 were disinfected. I just didn't get to see the name and where because I canceled it after 3 hours.

I'm thinking that this (worm) is why the internet seems so slow now. My daughter (who has a satelite connection) said she couldn't get her mail open tonight, and everything was so draggy she was considering reinstalling WINDOWS tomorrow.

I suggested she wait a few days.

I will get one of the worm scanners, I had one (The Cleaner) but it seems to have been a trial and expired.

I have no reason to suspect I have the worm. I had OE set to not let in attachments, have AVG running (anyway) and now have ZoneAlarm (though I don't think this stops viruses like that).

I also keep Adaware and SpyBot updated and run.

I'm getting familiar with HJT logs, too.

Just when I think I might know something about computers, something new will come along to show me what else I still have to learn.

~ Carrie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!