1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Partition Magic to Free up FAT32 Space for NTFS Partition

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jsaffer, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsaffer

jsaffer Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've got a 100 gig hard drive divided into a primary C partition and a second logical partition (E drive). (I also have a separate hard drive, which is D, which I use for backups). This is a dual boot system - the C drive has Windows ME on it, which I don't use anymore, and the E drive has Windows XP Pro.

The C drive is FAT 32 and the E drive is NTFS. I'd like to be able to delete all data and programs from the C drive and just leave the ME operating system there, so as to free up as much free space as possible. Then, I'd like to shift the free space from C into the E partition.

I'm not sure if this is possible to do. Can I use Partition Magic to move FAT32 free space into the E partition, which is formatted as NTFS? Can folks tell me if this is possible to do and what steps I need to take, using Partition Magic, in order to accomplish it.

I'd appreciate tips and suggestions! Thanks very much. Please feel free to also e-mail me directly: [email protected]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No problem at all. You can do all the steps from the PM GUI and then it'll boot to actually modify the partitions, since you're modifying the partition you're O/S is on.

The steps are:
    - Shrink the C: partition to the size desired.
    - Expand the E: partition to use the free space.
    - Apply the changes.

It would be a real good idea to have a backup, in case things go south. :) PM is pretty reliable, but not perfect. You're moving most of the data on your hard disk, things go wrong at times... :D

3. jsaffer

jsaffer Thread Starter

Dear John,

Thanks for your response. Here's a glitch I'm running into as I try using Partition Magic 8.0 to accomplish this. I'm using the Wizard feature to shrink the size of the C partition. The Wizard gives me the option of shrinking the partition and also adding the freed up space to the E drive. Keep in mind that the C partition is FAT32 and the E partition (which is my Windows XP partition) is NTFS.

After I use the Wizard to set the stage, I tell PM to apply the changes. PM tells me there are 3 changes it is going to make, requiring a reboot. I say, "fine."

The computer reboots into Windows XP and then I get a pale blue screen message that says the following:

Current Operation (1 of 3).
    Resizing Partition C: (FAT32, primary volume, 37887.6 MB on Disk:1)
    New size: 12,931. MB
    Entire progress: 100%

Starting batch execution --
    Error 2005 while executing batch.
    One or more lost clusters are present. Will now reboot. Press any key to continue.

When I press a key to reboot, I boot back into Windows XP and no changes have been made to the partitions.

I defragged the C drive, hoping to fix this symptom, but I get the same symptom again.

Any ideas on what's going on and what I can do about it?
    Also, will the Wizard actually take the FAT32 free space and automatically make it NTFS and add it to the E partition?

Thanks for your help!

....Jason

4. JohnWill

You need to run CHKDSK /F on both partitions before you run PM. There are lost clusters on at least one of them, PM won't makes changes if anything is wrong with the filesystem.

Yes, the wizard is smart enough to extend the partition using the proper filesystem.

5. jsaffer

jsaffer Thread Starter

Thanks for these tips. I have accomplished what I set out to do, after running scandisk. PM worked like a charm and I've got it all set up the way I'd like. Many thanks......Jason

6. jovan7

jovan7

I have a problem getting more space for my C drive which is almost full. My D drive on the other hand is about 90% free. I would like to take some space from D to added to C. Please reply if you can help
    This is the 1st time I post a message. I may have done it wrong, forgive me if I have.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Move the location of the Swap file - Control Panel - System ... Depends on your OS

Clean temp files

8. JohnWill

If you have Partition Magic, read the rest of this thead. :)

9. jovan7

jovan7

Thanks for your reply
    I always do disc cleanup and delete temporary files, it doesn't solve the probnlem.
    As for partition, OS, I have done that too, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Could you tell me exaxctly how to do that, I may be doing it wrong. control panel- system-system restore-drive setting-disc space setting and so on. Is that the way to do it?
    My question was; how can I get some of the giga from my D drive for C drive?
    Thank you for the reply again

10. JohnWill

Like I said, an application like Partition Magic will allow you to resize partitions that contain data without data loss.

If you don't have PM, check MFDnSC's suggestion, you can more your swap file to the partition with more free space and free up some space...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice