Using Playstation Portable Overseas

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lilhomie10

Hey, i am on a holiday in USA and i am thinking about buying a Sony Playstation Portable. The thing is, if i take it back to Australia... can i buy Australian UMD Games and movies and play them on my American PSP? and second of all, does the american PSP transformer (the charger say that it accepts 240volts?)

Thankyou

Hello,

Firstly games are not region encoded, so if you get a US PSP then u will be able to buy and use games when u get back to Aus. However UMD movie ARE region encoded. So you will have a problem on that side of things.

Dont know about the charger im afraid. When i looked into getting a jap psp imported (into the UK), it looked like the charger was a universal version which would be ok. Think this was standard, but im not promising anything!

lilhomie10

ok so its movies that will be a problem.... i will look futher into this..

Thanks for all of your help

lilhomie10

Nah guys i tried on a friend's and movies dont work... is there anyway to fix this? games work though

Dont think so. Personally i dont think this is a problem though. Rather than buying a UMD movie, buy the DVD, rip it, stick it on a memory stick.

lilhomie10

Yeh i would rather be able to play UMD's, rather than like limited features but that dvd ripping sounds good... how much space does say one 90min movie take up?

Unless you guys know something I don't, the DVD ripping method wouldn't work. DVD's are about 6gb ripped with DVDdecrypter
Isn't the biggest memory stick 4 gigs? Does someone know if you can change the quality of a dvd for a smaller file size? I've only ripped a couple dvd's but i think it might be a better idea to just hold off on getting a psp or to have umd movies shipped from the US.

lilhomie10

damn havnt u ever heard of Divx? well basically coz the PSP doesnt require a large screen resolution, you can compress it? i dont know how much but quite a bit coz my friend got an episode of family guy and it only took up a very small space... but yeah look up divx or Xvid in google or something

Yeah once ripped the dvd's vob files need to be converted so they can play on the PSP. Check www.pspvideo9.com, a 90min movie typically converts to around 400-600Meg, depending on quality setting. A 1gig card would be a wise purchse.

Oh sony have limited this feature slightly as movies on mem stick are limited to 76800 pixels (width*height, 320*240, 368*208(wide)) so they dont offer quite as good picture as UMD discs (480x272 pixel widescreen).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online