using Prescott on IC7-G MB instead of 2.4GHZ CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abrand888

I have a regular IC7-G MB that has a number of problems. It seems that the CPU is weak and once I was able to overclock my MB to 3.3GHZ I am lucky to run it at 2.4GHZ, its rated speed . In looking at the specs of Prescott CPU's if I were to change voltage to 1.4 instead of 1.525V, Abit says Prescott is compatable with i875p chipset. Is it true and can I do this by replacng a regular 2.4GHZ cpu with a Prescott CPU? Has anyone modified their Abit board to run the Presscott CPU?

Another weird thing is when my system was running at 3.3GHZ and installed with supposedly DDR440 memory it always stated dual channel but never mentioned the speed of the DDR memory. Since my memoiry has a spreader over it, I am not able to discern the correct speed and the name Gyser.com seems to have disappeared , since my system has defaulted back to 2.4GHZ, my memory is reading DDR333. Isn't this also weird ? Was my memory always DDR333 but it worked at 3.3GHZ? Was it ever DDR440 speed ?

Is bios always able to read memory speed ? Is there any other program capable of reading and testing speed ?

Are there any tests to test weak CPU's ?

thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm not buying the "weak CPU" idea. :) It seems multiple things changed, have you reset the BIOS to factory defaults and then configured it again?

Triple6

Rob
I agree that it sounds like the FSB and a few other BIOS settings have reverted back to a slower speed, possibly because your overclocking was too much and the BIOS defualted back to fail safe settings.

Many motherboard will only run memory up to 400Mhz unless you overclock - 440 Mhz is not a "regular" speed. Additional many motherboard will run the memory at certain speeds depending on what the CPU FSB is. So 333Mhz may be the max speed the memory will run when using a 533Mhz FSB processor.

Was you memory ever 440Mhz? Can't tell you. But you can. Download Everest and look under the Motherboard -> SPD section. It should tell you what the memory is.

Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

An overclock from 2.4 Ghz to 3.3 Ghz is pretty significant and definitely well beyond the normal operation of both the motherboard chipset and processor. Things tend to go unstable or break when stressed too much.

According to this: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/prescott_cpu_support.php
Your motherboard does support the Prescott CPU's as long as you update the BIOS to the latest. The voltages are adjusted automatically on boards that support the processors.

abrand888

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=369040&goto=newpost
Triple6 :

I bought from company X a overclocked 2.4GHZ overclocked to 3.3ghz. it
used their memory which was supposed to be 440 DDR speed modules. I will
give you the settings that they used and when my system reverted back tio
2.4GHZ because I was using a new video card, I would re-enter these
numbers. At the time until I flashed my bios to 28, the latest it qworked
well. Never did I see really anything indicating that they were really
DDER440 modules other than on the screen. What went awry was that I
started hearing noise when I booted up but disappear when the Windows logo came on the screen. First I encountered not posting at all and locking up, then after several reboots it posted and then it stopped completely at the line testing memory. Since I had two 512mb modules I suspected them, went back to defaults and went out and bought a DDR400 PC3200 module. At first it cured my booting but all of a sudden it too stopped posting even with the new memory.

Corsair suggested running memtest which I did for 10 hours and said my
memory was error free. I put back my old memory that the bios stated was
DDR333 and again ran memtest. I updated my bios by then to #28 which
allowed me to use my old memory, bumped it up to 3.3GHZ again and I
started to see the word Plextor changing to lower case upper case every
other letter. I knew something was wrong. I lowered it to 3.0GHZ and it
still changed letters on the screen and in the bios. I then ran memtest
ran it a whole night, error free but wouldn't reboot. Got stuck posting. I
turned computer off for 20 minutes and it changed everything back to
default and now computer system boots flawlessly at 2.4GHZ.

My settings for 3.3ghz were :

2.4C @ 3.3 ghz DDR440
cpu operating speed 3300
ext clock 275/66/33
pci bus frequency fixed at 33/66
multiplier factor locked at 12X
DRAM Ratio H/Wstrap n/b PSB800
Dram Ratio 5:4
CPU Core Voltage 1.650v
Dram voltage 1.6v
AGP RATIO Fixed

In Bios under Advanced Chipset Features

Dram Timing Selectable User Defined or Manual
Cas Latency Time 2
Act to Precharge Delay 7
Dram RAS to CAS 3
Dram RAS Precharge 2

At the very end of the Advanced Chipset featured last two items have to be
set to disabled and the three items above are set to auto. The settings
allow for this overclocking. The above setting were used on ^#17 bios. I think that flashing my cmos to #28 helped me run my old memory at DDR333 albeit it should of read DDR440 but I couldn't check for it when it had heat spreaders. One thing I know that seeing a change in the name of dvd-writers means something is very wrong and I suspected CPU as being weak or bad memory but it isn't .

I just ran the Everest test and is it something else. Thank you and basically the report tells me that I am using PC2600 memory, nothing close to so called DDR 400 and since my memory is so slow how on earth could I ever try and do any overclocking ? From what I see from this most informative test I am squeezing my memory.Is DDR333 pc2700 or 2600 ?

I have one stick of DDR400 PC3200 that I bought. Would I be better off
using just one stick of pc3200 memory and try and buy another stick ?
Could a DDR400 be overclocked with above settings or leave it as is or
buy true pc3500 memory ?

If I were to use a 3.0EGHZ Prescott CPU, what speed would I need to run as is and try overclocking at a later time. My Bios 28 will automatically recognize a Prescott CPU. Have people been successful overclocking a Presscott CPU ?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Arthur

abrand888

I ran the everest test and when the memory was sold to me it was supposed tobe DDR440to achieve 3.3GHZ. Now Everest tells me that I have pc2600 or pc2700 memory modules so this may be the reason I can't run at any overclocking speed even 3.0ghz and the signature of my Plextor dvd-rw drive is lower case uppercase every other letter. I see my problem is to buy new high quality memory so I can still use my 2.4GHZ CPU and this memory should good enough if I were to buy a 3.2 or 3.0 Presscott CPU and installit if I were to have any problems with my present CPU.

I would appreciate comments om my thinking and guidance.
Please let me knbow which memory is suitable for use now and if I were to buy a new cpu.

Thanks

Triple6

Rob
So you are one of those people who think overclocking is a science...its not.

If you want a 3.2 Ghz processor then buy one and run it at stock speed. That should be plenty fast and much less uncertainty.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online