1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using Ram as Video Memory??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xyoursweet666x, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xyoursweet666x

xyoursweet666x Thread Starter

i was looking around on some sites and i was looking at a forum about my computer ( a acer aspire 5100 laptop ), and it said i could use 256 MB of my ram as video memory, but it didnt say how or if it did it automaticly, anyone know anything about this?

i donno if this well help but i have

Acer Aspire 5100
    XP Media Center 2005 32 bit ( switching over to Vista 64 bit in a few days)
    4 gb ram installed
    AMD 64 x2 Mobile Technogly (ALSO!!:confused::confused::confused: wondering if this is dual core? cuz it says x2?)
    ATI Express 1100 ( 128 or 256 video memory not sure )

2. aasimenator

aasimenator

XP detects it automatically
    In My computer Right Click Properties it will show you Shared Memory

Yes X2 is dual Core

Its most likely 128MB

3. DerekC

DerekC

On computers with integrated video cards, in order to increase the amount of system ram that is being dedicated to video ram, you usually have to change a setting in the bios.

4. xyoursweet666x

how would i change it in bios? and how much memory should be in my shared memory? or how does all that work

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    One thing that I discovered recently after upgrading an old Compaq Presario desktop from Windows ME to Windows XP that has integrated Intel graphics, it changed the allocated video memory from 11 MB to 32 MB.

It's my guess that you'll have the same thing happen after you upgrade from Windows XP Media Center 2005 32-bit to Windows Vista SP1 64-bit.

Go into the display properties window and see what's being allocated right now, then do it again after you make the upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. xyoursweet666x

i don't quite understand what you want me to do, sorry XD, could you explain it a lil morE?

7. xyoursweet666x

when i go into my graphis card settings, i go to change a setting from 126 mb to 256 mb and when i hit apply changes it auto goes back to 128 mb and it as if ive never changed it, do i need to change something else before i can change this?

Attached Files:

8. xyoursweet666x

anyone want to help me using a messenger program? would be easyer then using forum posts? thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice