1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StanTheCaddy, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StanTheCaddy

StanTheCaddy Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm new to posting here but have lurked for a while now to try to find answers to questions. My desktop, with XP home, would not boot up this morning. Said something about missing required files and I needed to run repair off my desk. So I did, but the setup gave me another error saying it was missing files. So at this point I can't get into anything, only dump the drive and start over or enter Recovery Console and do whatever I can. So basically what I what to know is, can I copy the contents of "my documents" onto a removeable drive? If i can do that, then I will just wipe the drive and start over. Or if anyone knows an easier way, I am at my wits end with this thing and would love any help. Thanks

2. colmaca

colmaca

3. colmaca

colmaca

you could try this
    Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file: 1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
    2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
    4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
    5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
    After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

4. StanTheCaddy

StanTheCaddy Thread Starter

alright, so i guess i have to remember that no one hear is a mind reader. Sorry. The first time I ran repair after I had the intial problem, when windows started back up, it went to the XP set up, like when you installed it for the first time, never having used he repair function, I assumed this was normal. Anyway, after 10 minutes or so through the setup I recieved this message, Fatal Error: setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. Setup log will have more info. So I hit ok to see the log, nothing was on it. And then it restarts. Anyhow, I followed your instructions and chose the correct boot entry, and was told the windows did not load correctly and the option of starting in safe mode, last known good, or normal. Well if I chose safe I get told that setup cannot run in safe mode, and if I choose Last known or normal, i get taken to setup where the above happens again. I have this horrible feeling I am screwed. Thanks a ton for your help so far.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!