1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using search in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

My PC seems to be struggling when using the XP HE Search function.

It seems to take an age to come back with anything matching the search string, everything else slows down, and the CPU usage goes tops...:(

Should this be happening?

Even as I type this thread, I see the characters appearing a few seconds after I type them...

John

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Try Downloading SpyBot, as spywaer is a common reson for sluggish computers.

3. BillC

BillC

I'm not really sure what is going on, but why not do a system check at PC Pitstop and just see how your computer is doing. You could, of course, have a virus or other pest causing this behavior. BTW, I don't think it is 'normal' to see letters you type appear with a delay.

4. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I havn't heard of that happening since the days of the old 286's

5. michael_jii

michael_jii

how big is you hard drive and how much is used up?

6. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Turning on the Indexing Service may make the searches faster, but Windows is having a problem, so it proboballywouldn't work

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice