1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using the E drive for photos instead of C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anianita, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anianita

anianita Thread Starter

Hello. My C drive was full because I had too many photos. I realized I had a second hard drive - the E drive, so I moved all of my photos and word documents on to the E drive and deleted them from the C drive. Now when I open Picasa or Word, it says I have no photos or documents. How can I:

1) get Picasa and Word to automatically show the list of photos and docs on the E drive; and

2) Ensure that all future photos and docs are automatically saved on the E drive, not the C drive?

I expect this means setting defaults for these, but am not sure how to do this. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. anianita

anianita Thread Starter

Toshiba Equium with Windows Vista

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to follow http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=215 link - I have done this on three toshiba machines and moved all the accounts

BUT as with anything on windows - make sure you have a backup of all your data - although straight forward - anything can go wrong and you could lose all your data

5. anianita

anianita Thread Starter

This tells me how to move the files to the E drive. I have already done that. What I want to know is how to set my defaults so that Word and Picasa (and other programs) look in the E drive for my photos and documents, not in the C drive as they are doing now. Thanks.

6. cybersloth

cybersloth

This is a laptop?

is there actualy 2 drives or just a partition, (one physical disk with two logical drives) to check this go:

rclick on Computer and select manage > on the left there will be disk management, click here > if both drives are on one bar then they are logical drives, if there are two bars then you have two physical drives (i think there are some laptops out with two HDD)

if it is logical then it may be more practical to adjust the size of partitians with a program like "partitian magic" so that you get more space on C:, also see how big E: is because it may just be for Toshiba recovery files.

otherwise (two physical disks) etaf's advice/link is excelent.

c..

7. anianita

anianita Thread Starter

I think you are right that the E drive is probably just for backup files. It is also 90gb, same as the C drive, so there would have been some space on it. But I think it isn't the extra storage I was looking for so I bought an external drive. Thanks for your help on this; I appreciate it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice