1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using the full capacity on my HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by begud4me, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

Hello, i have a pc running XP with an AMD athlon 3.2 I have a Hitachi 250 gig HDD installed which is holding the operating system. The only problem is that its only being read in partitions one is 120 gig and the other is a 50 gig partition. i was wondering if there is a way to gain access to the remaining 80 gigs. (this is like having money and not being able to use it) i have been looking into converting it to a dynamic disk but am not sure if this is the answer. I am also trying to avoid having to buy a third party piece of software to do this. Any insight on dynamic disks and ways to access this remaining space would be greatly appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Don't convert to Dynamic disks. In Disk Management do you have any unallocated space? If so create a new partition from that area.

However, if you want to merge the partitions into one large one then you'll need to buy some extra software like Partition Magic.

3. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

im not sure how to tell if i have unallocated space...i know that the full size of the disk does not show up under disk management. Also i am unsure how to create a new partition...is there a tutorial you can link me to that would explain this process??

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

5. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

i wont be able to till later...i am at work...sorry.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ...because if the full size of the drive is not recognized then you have a bigger problem - or not a 250GB drive. But be aware that the actually capacity of a 250 GB drive is around 232 GB.

7. begud4me

begud4me Thread Starter

oh mann the dreaded words "you have a bigger problem" so what should i be looking for to tell if its recognizing the drive?? I am positive that its a 250...i used everest home edition this morning to get a hardware profile and looked up the drive on google just to be sure. and by "bigger problem"...am i going to have to fdisk or something?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well lets see the screen shot of Disk Management first.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice