1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using the xcopy command

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by Bogz2000, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogz2000

Bogz2000 Thread Starter

Hi there i have been looking around and have found multiple dos command articles about using both the copy and xcopy commands.

My situation is my windows 7 has dropped a file and is unable to boot, i have tried repairing via different methods, methods being recovery partition, recovery disk and new installation disk. However all have been "unable to repair disk".

My last ditch attempt is to try and recover the my documents folder to safe guard my photos of the kids. Everything else is saved on my partition D:.

What i am asking is after doing my research and using the limited knowledge i have of DOS this is where i am at now....

I want to either move or copy the folder or all files within "C:\Users\Donks Laptop" to the hardrive partion "D:\New folder". i have used the command xcopy as laid out in a few of the forums i have found but eerytime i get an invalid number of paramaters or the syntax of the command is incorrect. The line i am using at the C:\> root is:
    "xcopy /e C:\users\donks laptop\*.* D:\New folder"

I must be mistyping or missing something........

I am using DOS from Windows 7 Recovery Tools as this was the only way i could gain access.

Thanks in advance.

a very confused Nigel.

2. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Code:
    xcopy /e "C:\users\donks laptop\*.*" "D:\New folder\"
    Make sure you make two backups on different hard drives and also on DVD or you just might lose those photos of the kids one day.

3. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

You can also boot up a LIVE linux cdrom and copy the files using the GUI file manager, if you have issues with permissions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!