1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Thunderbird with Google Apps Email ([email protected])

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Shekibobo, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shekibobo

Shekibobo Thread Starter

My school has recently switched to Google Apps for its email service, now resulting in students having an address of [email protected]. I also started working for a company that uses this email in the form of [email protected]. I would like to be able to access both of these email accounts using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.

I've been told that by changing the user name for these accounts to include the full email address will allow access as if the account was a regular Gmail account, but I have not been able to make this work. I continue to get an error message:

Code:
    Sending of password did not succeed.  Mail server pop.googlemail.com responded: Username and password not accepted.
    This also happens for the mail server pop.gmail.com.

I tried using the Unlock CAPTCHA feature for both accounts. It worked for the [email protected] email address (it unlocked it, supposedly), but not for the [email protected] account. For the edu account, the unlock CAPTCHA responded saying the username and password do not match.

I also just installed the addon Gmail IMAP Account Setup for Thunderbird, which seems to know just what to do. However, with the employee email, I get the error message, "Login to server imap.gmail.com failed." With the student email, I get the error, "Invalid credentials (Failure)" followed by the same error as the employee email.

My I know my login information is correct. This is getting very frustrating. What do I do to fix this? What am I doing wrong?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice