1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using TV as a PC Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CCody, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CCody

CCody Thread Starter

Hello,
    I've been trying to get my Samsung LN-S3238D LCD tv to run as my computer's monitor, but it's not working so well. The TV has a VGA outlet, but when I plug it in I get nothing. Also, I thought it might be worth noting that the "PC" option in the TV screen menu is not available, and I'm not sure why. Any help would be appreciated! Forgot to mention.. I have a Nvidia Gefore 6800 video card running at 1280x1024 resolution.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cody

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Try a resolution of 1366x768 pixels. That seems to be listed as the native screen resolution for that TV. I suspect that the TV is sensing the out of range higher resolution video on the VGA input and not giving you the option of selecting it.

3. CCody

CCody Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

1280x1024 is as high as it allows me to set it. Is there anyway around this?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Look in the Samsung TV's Owner's Manual and see if it has a list of supported video resolutions that will work through the VGA input. Then see if the video controller has a matching setting.

5. CCody

CCody Thread Starter

Amazing.. 1024x768 isn't as high as I was hoping for, but it works! much thanks. There's no way to up the resolution to1360x768 eh?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not familiar with your monitor and I know next to nothing about the specifics of video controller cards based on the Nvidia Gefore 6800 chip set. Maybe if you give us the name and model number of the video card itself, someone else here might have a way of getting the higher resolution.

EDIT: Not sure if your TV is plug-and-play but you might try powering up the PC with the TV connected. If it is plug-and-play compatible, the video card may detect it and maybe give you a new list of video formats to choose from.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice