1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using two hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP-1800, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

At the moment I have one 20GB Seagate 5400 hdd, with XP Pro.
    I intend to get a new bigger and faster one.
    Could I dual boot with Win98SE loaded on the 20GB drive and have XP Pro loaded on the new one ?
    The reason I was thinking of doing this is that some games I have just won't run on XP and I was going to use the new drive (possibly a WD 36GB Raptor) for XP and the old one for Win98SE.
    Hope this makes sense, and sorry if a bit daft !!
    Cheers.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello xp-1800

No, you are not daft; that is a completely reasonable question.

If you want my advice, reinstall both OS's on the new, faster HDD, and leave the old HDD in as a slave for storing backups of your files.

If you don't want to you can still use the old HDD but either way, when you install a dual OS you must install the W98se first, then the XP second, and on a separate partition.

To read MicroSoft's article on dual booting XP read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306559&product=winxp

3. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply......very helpfull.....:)
    I just had the bright idea of using the old 20GB drive just for win98SE, since it would just be for some games that XP doesn't like, and being the slower drive it seemed a good idea.
    The faster bigger drive I would use for XP and my other games (UT2003/4 etc) and any other progs I use.
    Two seperate drives with two different OS's on them, win98SE as FAT32 and XP as NTFS.
    Thanks for the link, I will have a browse.
    Cheers................:)

4. steve65

steve65

You may use them on seperate drives but it requires the use of a hard drive switch like TRIOS. You can find them for about 40.00. The upside to doing it this way is that if you want to remove Win98 someday you just disconnect the drive, reformat it and use it for something else.

I've found these a really useful device for playing with different operating systems when you do not want to hose up your original.

Steve

5. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Thanks steve65, that is something I didn't know about.
    I shall have to have a hunt about for this TRIOS switch, and see if it is worthwhile or not..................mmmmmmm.........more money......:D
    But, that is exactly what I was thinking of, to just have seperate drives for each OS. Get fed up with 98SE, then just disconnect/remove the drive..........:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice