1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using two PC's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Paynesmanor, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor Thread Starter

Computer 1;
    Compaq Pentium 2.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Computer 2 Presario laptop. Amd 1500+
    Microsoft Windows XP Home.

Currently I have them networked, with a Cat5 cable that I rewired to a cross over cable.

I want to have complete access to computer 1 from computer 2. Basicly I would like to be able to eliminate the monitor keyboard and mouse on PC number 1. and just use my laptop, to control computer1.

And OR,
    I would like to use computer1 to monitor computer 2 (spyware, viruses, and whatever else I can think of,). Is there a way to get the computers to show up as a drive letter? As this would be the easiest way to accomplish this! Or what do I need to do to be able to set it up, (best way to connect the pc's, so they can help each other).

Any Ideas? I am self taught so, please stick to simple english... Step by step instructions, as I am self taught, and have problems figuring things out.. (I still can't figure out how to turn on remote access, on both computers... )

2. onsite

onsite

Are you sure you wired the cat5 cable right
    both have to have the same IP address except for the last octet
    same subnet
    same workgroup and each other account has to be on the othe machine.
    I think Belkin maves a KVM that has software and cables. You have to use a part software sollution, since one is a notebook, so you can not use a regular KVM

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To enable Remote Desktop on Computer 1: Make sure that you have a User Account with a password; Control Panel - System - Remote tab - select 'Allow users t connect remotely to this computer.'

If you have a firewall other than XP's you need to configure an exception in the firewall to permit RDP traffic. To make sure XP's firewall is configured properly, Control Panel - Windows Firewall; make sure on the General tab that 'Don't allow exceptions' is NOT checked, and make sure Remote Desktop is checked on the Exceptions tab.

Then on Computer 2: Start - All Programs - Accessories - Communications - Remote Desktop Connection.

Above is from Michael Otey article in August, 2006 issue of "Windows IT Pro." (Never mind how I got that!) I ran through the procedure yesterday (except for the 3rd party firewall part) and can vouch that it works. Computer 1 has to be XP Pro, and yours is.

I know nothing about the second part of your post.

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you want to just run a virus scan on the remote computer you can just map the drive and scan it. This will not scan the reg or mem though. If your cross over cable is functioning you should just be able to RDP into it.

5. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor Thread Starter

I can access the computer by remote desktop, which is cool and what I wanted... However I still need to get the old Pentium, to scan the Laptop... all drives, everything that say, ad-aware would scan if it were doing a full system scan from the laptop.

Is there a way to get the laptop to show up as a Drive? Using a crossover cable?

Or what other options would I have, to be able to do this?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice