1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Used Hardware-Need to Clean up!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Surobbro, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

Hi, I have posted threads here previously and only had fantastic experiences!

My friend who rebuilt my PC ended up using other HDs from other people, so I know that alot of the garbage taking up memory is crap that I don't need. OK the issue:

I don't know what I do need and what I don't as I'm pretty much PC illiterate! (Gee! Can ya tell?? LOL)

I have a 150mhtz Pentium Intel Processor, and right now only 1.96 Gigs total memory in C drive, and am using 1.29; I know that I don't have that much that is mine. I have total 421MB in "D", and am apparently using 177MB. (Remember, I already know it's a piece of crap, but am broke right now! LOL) I have already checked Programs and I think that everything there is mine.

I have in the past been turned on to Sptbot by the tech angels on this site, at a time when I suddenly lost 305 of memory. I run it every week, and rarely have any spyware. I believe that there is alot of crap that Is not mine, but don't know how to distinguish what I can safely delete without screwing up the OpSys. I do delte Temp Files every week, and always keep the Recycling Bin clean.

Help!!! Thanks, Susan ([email protected])

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Hard Disk Drives (HDD) have storage space (1.96 GB), not memory. Memory refers to Random Access Memory (RAM). To see the amount of system RAM on your computer Riighjt-click My Computer; Point to Propertties and it's right there.

Actually sounds like a nice computer.

You'd have to list the contents of your Add/Remove Programs control panel and any other items you have in question. A free program called Eraser from http://download.com will safely wipe clean the unused space (only) on your HDD free storage dramitically. Reply to this for more details.

3. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! Ok, sorry about that! You are right! Anyway, I have 48MB RAM with 61% free

As for the "Eraser" which one on this link below should I use? There are quite a few. I think that I knwoo which one, but want to be sure.

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=Eraser&tg=dl-2001

Thanks, Susan;)

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

This one:

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10231813.html?tag=lst-0-12

Note how much free space you've got before you start by opening my computer and right-clicking [C:] and point to Properties. Install it after the download is done by double-clicking the download's icon and restart your computer, or when prompted. Back at Desktop open My Computer; Right-click the [C:] and point to 'Erase unused space'. You might want to temporarily disable your screen saver - choose none, then boot to Safe Mode so your ant-virus doesn't interfere:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click OK when prompted).

When eraser is done (don't choose more passes than the default 1 pass, takes days) Windows will tell you you're out of Memory and to close some stuff. Ignore that by 'clicking out' and just restart your computer via the Start button.

5. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

Thanks! I just saved the directions above to Docs. and will do this later when my son is asleep, as it will take me 25 mins just for the DL. Really appreciate the help. One thing I didn't fully understand, is about hitting the F8 five times per second during the start-up, and also at the end when you refer to "clicking out?

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

You mentioned that you clean out the temp files. Do you also clean out the \Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder(s)?
    If you have never cleaned then, you can recover "a ton" of space.

There are two ways to clean them out. You can do it from within windows and get 85 to 90% or you can do it from DOS and get 100%.

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

just click an OK button or whatever you have to and clear the screen and restart is wut i meant by 'clicking out.'

8. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

OK, Styxx: I did the above last night, and it cleared about 20 MBs, but I really don't think that I did it correctly. Sorry, I really am illiterate.:rolleyes: :confused: Just wondering; does that drive you guys crazy?

Well, I ended up going in and deleting all of the "Themes" from MS98Plus, and the MS Golf which was on here, and I know I didn't need that. PLus all Temp, and Temp Int. Files like Nitehawk said. Plus I also deleted all History in the web pages search. I ended up going from 701MB in "C" to 898 MB in "C". Like I said, I have total 1.96g in "C", and I still have a feeling that there is alot in there that was added by the previous owner. Not sure how to relate to you all of the files that came up as "Failed" after I ran the Eraser. Most were "dlls" although I am assuming that while most of those may be required for the Opsys to run correctly, there are still alot that haven't been used since I got this PC rebuilt 6 mos ago. Am I making any sense?:confused:

I totally appreciate all of the help that all of you have been giving me, just wish that I understood more! I'm 43, and wasn't "born" into computers like alot of you. My previous jobs always used Sales Programs; you learn that one program, and that's it. Any other suggestions? Do you think that I may not have run the Eraser correctly as I didn't get much back doing that? 20mb?

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

No, you don't drive us nuts, much. ;)

Did you run Disk Cleanup? Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Disk Cleanup.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

how much fee space is on your HDD now? If 1.96 is your total space available that won't change. Just the free spsace.

11. Surobbro

Surobbro Thread Starter

Seriously, am I driving you nuts?

Yeah, I ran disk Cleanup, and cleaned out everything in Start programs that I really didn't need, plus I defragged, as usual.

I now have total 64% System Resources available. Maybe sounds like a good amount, but the only thing I use the PC for is email, and rarely DL. Although, I do surf alot, but always keep the Temp Int. File regularly. I did check My Pictures file and after cleaning it out quite a bit, it is now only 9mgs; used to be a lot larger.

How many MBs should the necessary files take up just to run the damn thing? The Win98 takes 166MB, and that's after I revoved the Themes and the Golf that someone had on there.:confused:

12. Styxx

Styxx Banned

No seriously, you might be a little nuts for having a computer :) but ur okay otherwise.

If you'd post what's in your Add/Remove Programs list I might be able to suggest stuff you could uninstall - RealPlayer would be one.

If you compare the programs in your Add/Remove Programs list with what folders are in your Program Files directory you might find a few sub-folders that can be safely right-click deleted. You have to be careful though and not remove the folder of a installed program (in the Add/Remove list).

Post the folder names in the Program Files directory and, the entries in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel list and I could likely help you with determining what is not installed and what is. And what you need and might want too uninstall, as far as the Add/Remove Programs list goes.

13. brite750

brite750

If you could run Belarc Adivisor it will show you all the hardware & software on you pc, that might help you figure out where your space is being chewed up. RegCleaner would help you get rid of extrainious registry entries also that would make your pc happier.
    Outside of that a full reformat of your HDD if you feel brave.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice