1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Verizon Modem for Qwest DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by annneil, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annneil

annneil Thread Starter

Hi- We are retired and on a fixed income so in order to save $, I dropped Cox Cable and bundled Direct TV with Qwest DSL. The first person I talked to on the phone said they would send out everything I need. When I actually signed up though the second person said no, only the software, unless I wanted him to send out a modem? I said no. Someone told me any DSL modem would work so I bought a Verizon Modem on eBay for not much $. Model GT701C.

The phone jack is in the kitchen. The main computer is in the office where there is no jack. The laptop goes anywhere of course. A Qwest Q100 modem showed up via UPS so I connected with that. I already had an Airlink Super G, AR430W router. The laptop works perfectly to get online. Then I got a Patriot Wireless USB 802.11n Adapter on sale for $10. and the main computer works perfectly now online. I got the printer to work wirelessly also, with only an electric cord in the office. So all that was just fine. THEN I got the DSL bill! They not only are charging me $5. a month for the modem, they charged me $10. for shipping it! So I decided to use my Verizon modem and tried to install/configure that. But the DSL light won't stop blinking. So I called Qwest and asked how to do it and they told me only a Qwest Q100 or Q1000 will work and they will sell me one for $99.00.

Is there any way I can get the Verizon modem to work? The main computer is a Dell- but I don't think it matters with this question.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Sincerely,

annneil

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4450e, AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3838 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 756374 MB, Free - 600437 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 8482 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K071D, A00, ..CN7360487G007B.
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus Online, Updated and Enabled

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

The gt701c appears to come with Verizon only firmware installed.You might post up a question to the actiontec support site and see if any settings or firmware are available to make it work with Quest.I fear the answer may be no.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty sure both of those "modems" are modem/router combination units. Did you reset the GT701C to factory default settings and then configure the WAN part of the router for your account--I assume PPPoE and your account/password?

If so, some ISPs require that the modem's MAC Address be registered with them. Have you been able to determine if this is the case with your service?

Since the GT701C was branded "Verizon" I'm thinking that pedroguy is correct about it having proprietary to Verizon firmware, which will road block you even after getting through the above two issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice