1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using VMware "converter" to convert a physical machine to a virtual machine

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by john2004, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with the following. I tried to use VMware's free "converter" software to convert my physical HP machine to a virtual machine. However, when trying to run the virtual machine, it says that the virtual machine has two processors & that it is limited to only using one processor, & therefore, will not start. The physical machine is a dual core processor, but I see no way to configure the virtual machine so that it only has one processor.

It seems to me the software should just configure itself to at least run, and from there a person can try to tweak the settings and be advised if there are limitations at that point, but that would make to much sense. Alternatively, they could provide an easy way to change the settings so you can at least get the thing to run, but again, that would make to much sense.

Anyway, if anyone can help me get the virtual machine clone running, please let me know.

Thanks
    John

2. Cyps

Cyps

3. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Thanks Cyps, but I read the manual and did not find a solution to the problem.

John

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hi Johnwill,

Thanks for your reply. After looking over the Microsoft page you gave, it was unclear to me as to how to cahnge the boot.ini file to NUMPROC=1.

Is it OK to run a dual core processor with NUMPROC=1 ? I guess technically it is just one processor with a dual core right ?

Thanks again,
    John

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Here's an example, I added the bold parameter to my BOOT.INI file.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /NUMPROC=1

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice