1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using VNC with Linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by coulterp, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coulterp

coulterp Thread Starter

I have VNCServer running on a Linux (CentOS 4.2) server.
    I use VNCViewer from a WinXP box to remote in unto the Linux server.
    Except ... in order to be able to do this I have to have first started a terminal session on the Linux box from a terminal (monitor, keyboard, mouse). In other words it is not possible immediately after a reboot of the Linux box to remote in from a WinXP box without first having started a terminal session on a locally attached terminal. This is something of a disadvantage if I want to do it all remotely.

I'm pretty sure that at one point I was able to configure things so that on boot I could set to auto-login on a selected user account on the desktop and was then able to remote in from the WinXP box immediately after a reboot as required. But I've forgotten how I did this and I cannot find the menu option on the GUI that allowed me to do this. (I'm using the default GUI after installation, i.e. not KDE). There is of course a security consideration with auto-logon but in the circumstances it is acceptable.

I would really rather have the server with no attached monitor/keyboard/mouse if at all possible. Can some-one point me to the right area in the various GUI configuration options to look for this? Or indeed provide any suggestions as to how I could what I want to achieve here. Or is what I want to do just not doable?

TIA.

2. linuxphile

linuxphile Administrator

A better and probably considerably more secure approach would be to use FreeNX. FreeNX allows you to forward an X session to a Windows desktop without having to install Cygwin or a proprietary XWindows server for Windows. Linux Journal has done a series of articles on FreeNX. Check them out at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8477.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice