1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using VPN for shares

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikeb220, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

I have never used VPN before and I am trying to set it up so that a friend of mine can be in my LAN for 2 reasons.
    1) so that he can access my CD drive
    2) so we can play an old game that only supports LAN through IPX, it doesn't support internet.
    I have been trying to figure out how to do this. I was able to create the VPN and he was able to connect to it but he wasn't able to access my shares (including the cd drive).

My computer is connected to a router, he connected to my computer by connecting to my router's WAN address and having ports forwarded to connect to my computer.

When he is connected I can ping my ip address (the one listed as this when I do ipconfig/all)

PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Internal RAS Server interface for dial in clients
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.105
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

but I can't ping the ip address that he is connected as.
    If I go to run and connect to my shares by typing \\192.168.0.105 it works just fine, but when he tries it, it tells him that it can't find it.

How do I configure this so that he can access my shares?

Thanks, Mike

2. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

Has anybody tried using a VPN for sharing files?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice