1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Wi-Fi on XP and ME computers together

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leachim, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Hi

I have a wireless router from Linksys which includes a router and PCMIA card for my laptop running ME.

Main computer is running XP and hope to hard wire it to the router with an ethernet cable and use wi-fi for the laptop running ME

Am having trouble connecting them or getting it to recognise the connections.

Do I use the software that came with the router and PCMIA card or rely on Windows to set it up automatically.

Does anyone know of an on line source that will step me through it as I am a bit thick

Thanks

Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't need any software for the router.

Why don't you start with the make/model of the broadband modem, the model of the router, and the brand of the WiFi adapter in the ME laptop. Also, what have you tried so far to get them working?

3. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Hi

It is a package of router and Notebook adapter called Linksys WGKPC354G.

I was on the phone to their helpline for over an hour last week - and the conclusion was that it was the wrong OS for it to work with (ME on laptop) - but on the box it said it was compatible......

I think we went through oceans of manoevers, and I have forgoten them all, but I can't get the laptop to connect to the internet.

I can't expect you to talk me all the way through it - just wondered if there is an online page that is relavent to this product and its setup

Mike

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If Linksys can't solve it directly, maybe they're not compatible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice