1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using widescreen TV as monitor but unable to set resolution to match 16:9 display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by housechores, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. housechores

housechores Thread Starter

I am trying to hook my Averatec laptop (3260) to a Vizio HDTV (M420NV) using the VGA input on the TV (no HDMI out on laptop). The picture comes up clear, but my only options for the screen resolutions are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200. All these are 4:3 display so I have these wide black bars on both sides of the TV.

I intend to use the laptop to show Netflix onto the TV, but with the resolution issue, the movie becomes very tiny (given the TV is not huge in the first place). If anyone can show me how to change the resolution to 1920x1080 (recommended by the TV manual), it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. bigbear

bigbear

You could try updating the graphic drivers but it might just the gpu does not support 16.9 resulution

3. Wino

Wino

I have a similar set up. I use the aspect setting of the LCD TV to go full screen from computer image . I'm runnin a 32" LCD TV at 800x600, mainly so I can read the screen from across the room when browsing web. Movies show just fine at this setting. My connection is to an MCE XP and use a VGA to HDMI cable to connect computer to TV with separate sound patch cords.

In normal TV mode I have 4 different screen aspect settings Normal-Wide-Zoom-Full with TV remote; when using HDMI mode with computer it only offers Normal-Full. Normal has the black bands on either side - full is what it says.

Hope this works for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949244