1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Win2000 & XP operating systems on the same PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bonzai, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai

bonzai Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home Edition on my PC and I am about to start an MCSE 2000 course. Is it possible to run my PC with XP and Win2000 operating systems and if so how do I do this. I have tried to install Win 2000 but XP will not allow me to downgrade.

2. ussj4gohan

ussj4gohan

***Backup data before doing this***

OK, first, boot your computer with the windows 2k CD in. then, when the installation starts, say yes to everything but stop at the partitioning setup. Now, this is difficult if WinXP has taken over. If there is just one partition there then you may want to (although other methods are available) delete that partition and make 3 new ones. The first one will be Windows 2000, either NTFS or FAT32 file system (I prefer NTFS. More secure). The next will be Windows XP (again, NTFS or FAT32, your choice. Although I think that Home only allows for FAT32. Not sure) and the last will be your data partition (usually the biggest and use FAT32, as it is universal. What I mean is that all of the operating systems that you will probably use will work with FAT32 but not NTFS such as Linux, and Windows). If you dont want to do this it is possible for thw Windows 2000 setup to install on the same partition as Windows XP but again, that doesn't always work out good. Once Win2k is installed (assuming you know how to install from there) you need to install Windows XP again (if you went with my first suggestion of partitioning. Otherwise, everything is just fine) If you went with my first choice, all programs and everything else there will be gone so sorry if you have to reinstall a lot of stuff.

That should do it. Any questions email me at [email protected] See ya. I hope this helps you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!