1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using Windows HOSTS file for disabling traffic ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zeraow, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeraow

Zeraow Thread Starter

So recently, I been looking for a solution for disabling matchmaking in a game I play, now there is a multitude of ways you can go about doing this but the first way I did is, I went and looked around on the topic for any kind of exploit or in-game way to manipulate the search pool, after days of research I have came to the ultimate conclusion that its going to require more work and deeper digging. I met someone on reddit that played the same game and achieved success in disabling matchmaking in the game while still retaining the gameplay.

Essentially, what he did is block all IPs from the service provider of the creator of the game, as an example its like loading up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you can get into the game but you can't find any matches because you have disabled Activision's IP from communicating with your router. Now myself, I don't know how HOSTS work or what the best way of completing the task of essentially blocking all IPs except for critical IPs that allow for gameplay but deny any kind of matchmaking (things like Cloudflare for inventory and items database).

The game i'm trying to achieve this in is Destiny 2, and basically I want to disable matchmaking so I can play the activities solo, why you ask? Well, its complicated.

So I set out on my journey to figure it out TECHNICALLY, because alast I had found out the only way was to dig deeper. So the person that achieved this said he basically blacklisted most of servers he was connecting on, but not all of them. There are critical IPs that are necessary for the game to correctly function, he basically spent the time to pick out the IPs that the game needs to function and whitelisted them, any other IP was blacklisted. As a result no-one could connect to him but he was still on the servers. Its quite a complicated situation but he's on the Xbox One, so his process was a little bit different. Now I'm sure I *could* do the same but he said that you might be able to achieve the same success but without messing with the router which is a good thing.

He basically explains that if I use the Windows HOSTS file I can blacklist and whitelist IPs as I see fit, I thought well thats not too confusing and he told me to go around and find IPs that you will need to whitelist. Also, me playing the game solo is a temporary thing to farm a gun that is MUCH easier solo, its complicated but I don't want to play solo for the future of my playtime but just for temporary use, with that said he said I should be able to disable all network traffic and then whitelist the neccessary IPs to let me on the game servers.

So my main question is, how do I use the Windows HOSTS file to disable all network traffic and then whitelist specific IPs to let through.

Any response would be amazing and super appreciated, thank you for your time. :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can't do this within the game you are trying to circumvent some restriction, which as you should know is against our forum rules. Closing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice